Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Shaft23

Networking WinXP to WinNT

I am practicing networking and am currently trying to network a Windows XP machine to a Windows NT machine. I have received many conflicting ways on how to proceed and so far i have set them both as Workgroup named TEST. They can also both ping each other. But, right now they cannot see each other. can someone please tell me what to do now and how to proceed step by step because i need HELP!!!

If you want them to 'see' each other, install netbios on both machines.

Netbios does not come with XP. Microsoft took netbios out of XP. They do have netbios over tcp/ip but if you are going to have to run tcp/ip then why run netbios :x .

Sounds like the two machines are talking to each other because you can ping them. What you will need to do now is share out folders if you want to be able to share files. The way you do this is right click on a folder you want to share and click on share. Make sure you delete the 'everyone' group and add users group to the security. This way not just anybody can see and get files from your machine.

Quote:
Netbeui does not come with XP. Microsoft took netbios out of XP. They do have netbios over tcp/ip but if you are going to have to run tcp/ip then why run netbios :x .
Sounds like the two machines are talking to each other because you can ping them. What you will need to do now is share out folders if you want to be able to share files. The way you do this is right click on a folder you want to share and click on share. Make sure you delete the 'everyone' group and add users group to the security. This way not just anybody can see and get files from your machine.

that is not completely true. Netbeui does come on the windows xp CD!!. you just have to find it and install it manually and your nt 4 machine will be able to see it with no problem. i have 2 xp and one nt4 machine and they all see each other. the 4 thing i have installed are tcp/ip, netbeui, file and printsharing for microsoft networks, and client for microsoft networks. i also have one xp machine share it dial up internet connection with the other xp and nt4 machine.

lotus

ok, so now the computers are sharing files and folders! The firewall was blocking and once i added the ip's there was little problem. The last comment brings me to my next question...how do i share my dialup internet connection? Can i share a single connection so 3 or more computers can be online at same time? Also, this may sound dumb, does each computer need a modem? I think it does but since one of the computers i have doesnt have a modem it would be cool if i didnt have to buy a new one.... thx for all your help!

only one computer needs a modem. you just have to enable internet connection sharing under properties for your dial up connection. thats it.

lotus

Quote:
ok, so now the computers are sharing files and folders! The firewall was blocking and once i added the ip's there was little problem. The last comment brings me to my next question...how do i share my dialup internet connection? Can i share a single connection so 3 or more computers can be online at same time? Also, this may sound dumb, does each computer need a modem? I think it does but since one of the computers i have doesnt have a modem it would be cool if i didnt have to buy a new one.... thx for all your help!

ah ok so you just need one modem! i am having trouble with sharing my connection with these differerent OS. I have enabled ICS on the windows XP machine but what do i do with the WIn NT machine? they are linked through a HUB...what do i do?

Anyone know how to network a Win NT machine and Win XP machine so they can share Internet? i have enabled ICS and i can get XP to share with XP but not XP with NT! helP!