Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Uykucu

HDD Designations from F onwards...

Hi Guys.

I had to reinstall w2k again on one of my PC's recently here is what it was and my problem.

There were 2 HDD's on it which both of them dynamic designated c and d (Dough!) and CD's Y and Z which is irrelevant.

After the format and setup i have performed, when i tried to reach c from the adress bar which is how i usually do it i got an error c is not a valid drive smile

When i looked at it. i saw the HDD's where designated F: and G:

I know it is caused by the information stored on the 8 MB space on the disks, and i can change the secondart one but as you can guess not the boot.

Any suggestions on how to correct this apart from a low level total format???

It ain't terribly important but i have a tendency to look for C over the network so it is annoying when you are in a hurry etc.

I'm doing this from XP, but I believe there should be this option under 2k as well.

Go into Computer Management under Administrative tools-->Storage and go to disk management. Here, you can right click on the drive you want in the right-hand pane and you should seen an option to "Change drive letter and path" That should fix it.

Quote:
I'm doing this from XP, but I believe there should be this option under 2k as well.

Go into Computer Management under Administrative tools-->Storage and go to disk management. Here, you can right click on the drive you want in the right-hand pane and you should seen an option to "Change drive letter and path" That should fix it.

Yes but it does not let you modify the boot drive. I have already done the rest.

And no PM won't do it... It can change a drive letter but then you can't boot.
any other suggestions apart from another format smile