Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sciguy007

need simple networking help please, not very network smart

this is the setup that i am trying to acheive, except i only have two computers. i understand the risks of sharing files with this setup, but it is all i can afford right now. i need both of these computers to be connected to the internet, and be able to share files also. could someone please help me configure the computers so they are able to do this? they are both running 2k pro currently, and will be running xp shortly. thanks in advance smile

direct.gif

First thing is, on the nice picture you have posted you are showing a DSL cable modem router so i presume you have one.

Find out what the IP is for your DSL router. If you can set it yourself set it's internal IP to 192.168.0.1 and Subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 Now go to both of your machines, log in with administrative rights, right click on My Network Places and choose properties. if you set up your Nic's properly you should see a Local Area Connection Icon.

Right clck on it and choose properties again. Pick the TCPIP and again click on properties.

In there, choose Use the IP address specified and respectively give your computers the following.

Sub Nert mask will be automatically set to 255.255.255.0 if not make it so.

On the gateway field for both machines, type the IP of your router this tells your computers how to get to the internet

In most cases you can leave the DNS fields empty, but if needed, find out what their IP's are from your ISP and enter it in those fields.

Whola, you are all set etc....

There are a lots of different ways to do this this is the one i use in most cases. post if you have any more trouble.

One warning.... if you do not have a router (ie. your modem plugs in to a usb port on one of your computers..... the case is different. Let me know if so, i will post seperate instructions.

my setup is exactly like the picture. i have a cable modem that plugs into the host port of my hub, and then the two computers are plugged into ports 1 and 2. i do not have a router.

Quote:
Your modem is a router smile

see how stupid i am wink. how do i change the internal address of my cable modem? is there an administration page i have to find somewhere?

I dunno how you set it exactly it differs from model to model and your isp...

Post your modem model and brand. i will have a look. Also have a talk with your ISP and find out what your IP is etc.

If it is static or dynamic.

Quote:
my modem is a surfboard model 3100. my ip is static.

Then find out what your IP is and set it in your network settings as the gateway.
that will sort you out.
PS. When i say IP i mean the static one your ISP Assigns.
You also have to phone them and find out what the DNS's are to set them in network properties.

OK, here's a little bit of info that might push you guys along. First, that modem generally passes an IP from the ISP to the PC, so the static IPs you are using internally would more than likely render both machine inoperable with respect to connecting to (and through) the modem. Most of the time, a simple router (as mentioned earlier) would get an IP from the modem (either static or dynamic from the ISP), and then the other side of the router would allow for the LAN IP range to connect (as you are probably trying to use).

So, what does this mean for you? Well...

1. You could either ask the ISP for another IP (and pay a little bit more per month) so that each PC will get one when they boot up

2. You could get a second NIC and use Internet Connection Sharing on one PC (or if possible connect to the USB port), and connect it to the modem while connecting the other NIC to the LAN (other PC). In this scenario you are making one PC a router. And finally...

3. Get a cheap router as it is very easy to setup and use.

HTH

thank you both very much for your help. i think i have it set up the way i want it. only problem now is at&t is down smile

You are correct clutch.

I just did not know that modem specifically. I thought it was a router on its own so i recomemnded it's IP as the gateway.

well he is sorted anyway.

Quote:
You are correct clutch.
I just did not know that modem specifically. I thought it was a router on its own so i recomemnded it's IP as the gateway.
well he is sorted anyway.

smile

What you were describing is what I have with my Eicon DIVA LAN ISDN Modem. It has a router built in along with a 4-port hub. I have heard of DSL modem/routers as well, but I was more familiar with the 3Com cable modems as I have had 2 models myself (the sharkfin and the Surfboard).

Exactly... I have never used a cable modem in my life.

I switched from dial up to DSL and frame relays (talk about spoiled...)

How do you get so much time to play around with so many toys...

I can hardly find enough time to do anything personal and when i go home, last thing i want to see is another computer (actually a comp with a problem)

So i just read a book or something like that.

I find the time because I have an endless desire to learn all kinds of stupid computer tricks. Too many toys, too little time...

Quote:
I find the time because I have an endless desire to learn all kinds of stupid computer tricks. Too many toys, too little time...

yea my thoughts exactly
i think that alot of us are here for just that reason.

LOL... i wish i could play with them too.

I haven't even read the manual for my new mobile.