Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Edguy

"system restored after critical error" on Asus P4B

Just got a P4B533-E to replace my P4B sdram board...

disabled the RAID and sound (for now)...

coupled it with a stick of Samsung Pc2700 DDR...

im running XP pro, and on every boot, i get a "system restored after critical error" and a report box..... installed XP again from scratch... same thing... this is before i got ANY drivers at all for anything installed... tho it happens with chipset drivers and sound and gfx and everything installed aswell...

what could be causing this?... everything was running perfectly on the Asus P4B board... same stuff otherwise..

getting annoying and i can't help feeling somethings not as it should be...

got a few friends.. same mobo... no problems at all.... and they all got almost the same systems...

tried to disable the "auto restart on STOP error"..... but i don't get a stop... not on restart or boot... but still i get that damn error every time..

can anyone shed some light on this?

Asus P4B533-E

P4 1,6A

Samsung PC2700 512MB

Asus Geforce2 gts

SB audigy player

2xSeagate barracuda

realtek rtl8139 NIC

Well, first thing's first... This board doesn't support PC2700 DDR RAM... it's PC1600/2100 only... see specifications at:

http://usa.asus.com/mb/socket478/p4b533-e/specification.htm

Secondly, this was a problem pertaining to Nvidia cards at one time... try up[censored] to newest Detonator drivers and all Windows Updates (there is at least one Windows Update that corrects a similar issue to this).

--Vermyn

yeah i know it doesn't support pc2700 speeds... still i know some people with the exact same mobo.. and same memory module (bought at the same time) and no problems...

as for detonators i've tried the 3 latest... and it happens with the ones that's bundled with XP aswell......

thanks for the input...

gawd i hate this ;(

this is an error with windows XP, go onto windows update and search for all the updates u can. It either in the Critical Updates or the Windows Updates section.

I know cause i had the same problem....

yes! :x

it worked smile

you just saved me from another sleepless night... thanks!

Quote:
yeah i know it doesn't support pc2700 speeds... still i know some people with the exact same mobo.. and same memory module (bought at the same time) and no problems...

as for detonators i've tried the 3 latest... and it happens with the ones that's bundled with XP aswell......

thanks for the input...

gawd i hate this ;(

just curious why u would spend the extra $$ for 2700 when your mobo don't support it?

unless u over clock alot or? - but even still...

well the pc2700 and pc2100 modules i did look at... the pc2700 modules were cheaper.... others like 5$ more expensive which makes it in my opinion a bad choise NOT to buy the faster one (same brand..in this case samsung.. same model.. different max speeds... pc2700 cheaper)...

...and i do plan to use that 66 extra Mhz aswell...

and the error was not due to the module.. tried with a pc2100 aswell... then back with the pc2700 and ran windows update and all is good since..