Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
reversing_drive

Win XP Bug & General Questions about config.

Hi There,

Running XP Home on P41.8Gh, 256mbDDR, 32mbSIS vid.

I'm having some problems, firstly the most annoying one is the searching for files function.

U Know: Start -> Search -> Files & Folders

Yeah well, apart from that god damn annoying dog that pops up, when i try to search for files eg. *.doc or index or *.htm or *.* , the hourglass shows for half a second on the mouse, then an empty 'error' type prompt pops up, except there is just an OK button, no message or whatever. And Disk activity isn't happening. You press OK, then well nothing has appeared in the search field and disk activity has ceased.

Anyways, I got hold of the free version of Powerdesk 5. I now use it's search function laugh

Then i stumbled on Tweakui for XP, i installed it and found an option where i could revert back to classic search style in explorer, cool i thought, this should fix it. Except for getting rid of that dog it didn't help much. Except there is no longer a prompt type error. Now the hourglass appears for half a second and then not much else happens.

Anyway it would be comforting to hear if someone else has this problem, and preferably have a solution.

The second problem is every time i open Explorer, Word, IE or even Roxio CD Creator. Lets say the program starts maximised, i press the 'Restore' button (Between 'minimise' & 'close', top right hand corner) the screen allways restores to something like 4 pixels smaller than maximised, so you don't even notice it, and it's hard to drag the corner coase it's so close to the startbar and all. After i do Drag the screen to a smaller size, lets say a third of the screen. Then i press 'maximise', well it maximises fine, i press 'restore' the window restores to it's 1/3 screen size, beut laugh .. that is untill i have closed the program and next time i go to use it i have to play the fun and games again of trying to drag the window in from the corner and not pull up the startbar. Pretty frustrating really.

The third problem, is much less complex. I expect you guys can help out here without much trouble. And that is that, after pressing on a .zip attachment in Outlook2000, you know how it asks

1. To Save To Disk /or

2. Open file in Current Location

Well i selected 'Save To Disk' then ticked the "Don't ask me this again", well It does the oposite now. I click a .zip file in Outlook2000 or even in IE on a Webpage, it downloads to Temporary Internet Files then opens. "IT DOESN'T ASK WHERE I WANT TO SAVE IT"!

So where can i reset the prompt that asks for saving/opening files in IE?

Last Problem, When computer boots up and wait for password at login screen (classic login type). The computer can stand for hours showing that login prompt, without activating the screen saver or turning of the screen. How can i enable that? When logged-on, screen turns of in 15mins.

Yes well thats just some of my odd XPeriences with XP so far. I would appreciate some help in fixing these problems. I need to hand this system over to a client soon and want it working trouble free.

Thanks for those of you who have read this far smile

And thanks for your help in advance.

Cheers,

Curt.

Just one thing about the annoying search dog, with XP PowerToys you can revert to classic search in Explorer, that is without the pet... This may be a way to avoid the error you get, no?

Hope this helps you a little...

answer:

Install win2k.

job done.

hope this helps. laugh

PS: there is an option to remove the mut anyway. in advanced options when u click search.......but as i said. use win2k.