Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jwl812

Windows 2000 & Gaming

When Win2k first came out all the magazines talked about how it butchered game framerates and playability. Have the service paks fixed these problems. I am thinking about Windows 2000. I have XP now and quite frankly I'm having some issues with it. It came preinstalled. My father in law swears by 2000 but could not provide me with its gaming ability. Also does it capture video ok (1394 fireware card)? XP is having a hard time capturinig video (sync problems). 1ghz AMD, 256mb ram, Gf2mx400 video card.

if you have XP..no need to go back to win2k.

unfortunately, MS let me down and failed to equalize win2k support for games vs win XP.

What issues are you having? maybe some1 here can offer you a better solution.

i have NO problems with ANY games in win2k...apart from red alert. i even got colin mcrae rally to work. and EVERY game since about 1999 works. i would not hesitate.........put it on.....try it.......u wont b sorry. i reverted ALL my machines (6 of them) back to win2k from xp pro. i hate it.

Some comps at my school had XP and i cant stand them. I also swear by win2k and have installed it on all my machines. BTW an easy, and I mean EASY fix to red alert is http://ntvdm.cjb.net/ this ms-dos based emulator along with the patch. works (sound and all) great for me under win2k. laugh

It depends on hardware/drivers ... Winxp overall I would say is better at running games. But I prefer win2k. It runs pretty much all the stuff xp does... When win2k came out it was more of a driver issue and certain games not working. That was more of an NT issue really. Now most games run with nt fine now because xp is based on NT. However... on my machine personally... it seemed xp was a little crisper. But I dont have the same hardware you do. Hardware is where it begins not the os. I would sacrifice a few framerates so that I can use win2k.

I actually benchmarked both 2k and XP the other day because I was wondering the same thing. With 3dMark2001 SE, XP scored 312 points higher than Win2k. That's with a Radeon 8500LE 128MB. Not sure if Nvidia scores would alter that much although I bet they'd show roughly the same thing.

It's up to you if that's significant or not to switch OSes. XP will get you better performance in games but on my system the difference isn't too much.

same system specs..ie a duel boot machine?

and you have to run the test a few times to get a proper rate.

I know that i get differing results each time i use the benchmark...usually within 180 pts tho.

Same everything. I ran the tests twice. One from a fresh install and one "optimised", ie, all unneeded services disabled. Comparing both fresh install scores and optimised, there is a difference of ~300 points in both cases favoring XP.

here is my system specs, i run XP home. and i can't get my favorite game to start. its no one lives forever. i have it patched to the latest versions, tried compaibly mode. the game installs but then when i load level 1 it crashes ! pisses me off.

i thought XP was good with games

and my MB is discounted(not supported anymore, i e-mailed the company and they said that they had no probs with XP in there tests)

Motherboard:Tekram P6PRO-A+ VIA Apollo Pro133 ATX

Bios date: 2000/3/29 V1.04 from www.tekram.com.tw

OS: Windows XP HOME EDITION OEM(I BOUGHT IT) + 35 pre-sp1 fixes + ie6 updates

CPU: Pentium III@700E MMX SSE 0.18 Copermine CPU @ 933mhz overclocked(stable at 38C. when i play games goes up to 48C, comp does not crash, games run good)

Memory: 1x128mb pc-133 1x256mb pc-133

384mb pc-133 sdram 168pin total

Graphics Card: Visiontek Nvidia Geforce2 MX400 T.V/s-video out 64mb sdram 166/200 @ 185/220 overclocked

Driver Version: Visiontek 30.82 Det XP

Monitor: Relsys Re772 Res at: 1280*1024*32bit*60hz

Hard drive: Western Digtel 40gb ata 66 7200 rpm

CD-Rom: Samung 32x

CD-RW: LG CED 8042B 4x4x24x

Speakers: PRO-168-3D

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster PCI 128

Driver 5.12.1.4113

Game Controller: Gravis PC GamePad

Keyboard: Samsung 104 Win98 Keyboard

Mouse: Genius EasyMouse+

Driver: 1.2.0.0