Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jwl812

WinXP vs Win2K

Anyone have any facts relating on how WinXP stacks up against Win2k. I've heard many arguments for both OS's but can't find any constructive or tangible evidence to pursuade me to go with one or the other. Anyone have any links or info on which OS is truly the one to use. There has to be a clear choice. Facts and figures and benchmarks should be able to determine which one is the DADDY.

Thanks in advance.

They are pretty much the same OS, and it's very hard to say what one is better. Both are good, no question. I think your decision should be based on what is better for what you are doing. Know that and it can make your job easier. I really have not seen any comparisions between the two OS's that really mean much for day-to day use.

IMO, XP is simply a home version of Win2k. Neither is bad and it really boils down to personal preference, which is why you really need to know what you want.

I really do a alittle of everything. I game a little, I edit digital video, and photos. I also am on th net alot. I have read that they are essentially the same OS but why the extreme difference in system requirements. I have enough computer, 1ghz AMD geforce video card and all. My question I guess is - Why does XP require more than twice the system requirements than 2000 and is it worth the system resources hit if they are essentially the same OS?

In my opinion I would go with Windows 2000. The system requirements on Windows 2000 require a Pentium 133 with 64mb ram. XP is a 233 with 128Mb. I have found that windows 2000 runs just as fast if not faster than XP because the OS does not need as much resources memory wise.

Another reason why I would go with Windows 2000 is because with XP you can only install it so many times before M$ has to have you call them up and tell them what you are doing before giving you a new activation key. Also you can only make so many hardware changes before it deactivates itself. I found out that changing the duplex on my NIC was one change to them even though I never changed the NIC.

One thing that XP has on W2k is the bootup time. My PC with XP was 25 seconds, W2k was 35-40 seconds. BIG DEAL.

If you don't want to mess around with compatibility on some older games, WinXP is a bit better here. Other than that 2000 is just fine and much leaner in terms of middleware and more mature (3 SP Releases).