Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ron_Jeremy

My neighbor needs your help

My neighbor is using Win2K Pro & wants to deny her son Internet access because of his ummmm surfing habits. Prior to getting a cable connection, it was easy to do this because a password was needed to initiate the dial up connection. But now with cable, this no longer applies.

She is set up as the Administrator, no other user accounts are created & the guest account is disabled. Assuming she creates an account (or uses the guest accout) for him, can she somehow stop her son from accessing the Internet by denying him security (i.e., executable) priviledges to iexplore.exe? If not, what other options does she have? I thought maybe I'd get a soho router for her & deny port 80 to the account her son will be using. But, I've never used one of these routers extensively to know if this is even possible. And my neighbor only wants to spend $$$ if she has no other choice.

Ideas anyone?

**Ooops, I'm not sure if this post belongs here or under Apps. Please move it if deemed necessary. Sorry frown

Use the Content Advisor built in to IE and use a password.

I have set this up on a few machines for people who want to protect their grade school kids from the nasties of the web and it works pretty well.

Content Advisor seems way too restrictive. Even with it's mildest settings, sites like google, msn, microsoft, nhl, etc, etc are all restricted, so this is not really a viable option.

Jerry, what do you mean to deny IE by definition? Can you please be more specific?

Oh, I don't know if this is something that can help me or not. I fished around inside the group policy editor. Under "User Configuration" there's a container called "Software Settings", but there are no items to view, nor do I know how to add any.

Hummmmmmmmmmmm.....................lets see the neighbor wants to restrict access to [censored] sites and her next door neighbor is Ron Jeremy...............Hummmmmmmmmmmm!

Love your handle!

How's the mother next door?

Just a little humor, hope you don't mind, but with a handle like RJ I would doubt it!

P.S. I was wondering how many reconized the name? Apparently none in this forum except me.

BTW: I always liked John Leslie better.

Quote:
P.S. I was wondering how many reconized the name? Apparently none in this forum except me.

BTW: I always liked John Leslie better.

Care to elaborate?

AndyF

Ron Jeremy is a p0rnography film actor.

nuff said

Actually I have a couple of mates who are big fans of Sylvia Saint and would like to see a film starring her and John Holmes.

Of course, with JH being dead, this aint gonna happen.

Quote:
Kind of separates the kiddies from the adults doesn't it!

Not really, I'm 32 and still hadn't heard of him 8)

AndyF