Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Metallisoft

Win98se Service packs?

Since 98 is being phased out, I imagine Windows Update will no longer be available for 98 users.

I will always need a 98 machine on my network. For client support, application testing, and games.

Is there anywhere I can d/l an install of the Windows Update security fixes and stuff? I'd like to reburn a 98 CD with the patches as well as Dx8, etc..

Thanks

Online support for Windows 98 should still be around for awhile, heck Windows 95 online updates are still around. However, it is a good idea to grab all of those updates, I would just make a copy of your Windows 98 CD to a hard disk folder and then add in an updates folder and copy all of those patches into it, or even better just get a CD-RW and put the patches in there, thats what I do with games and stuff.

No one knows if the hotfixes are online somwhere? Or where they are? Some google searches netting me way too much Windows update and not much of anything else.

Are some/all/any 98 fixes embedded in IE SP's? If I could d/l ie5.5 SP and get fixes like mapped drive shutdown, that would be perfect. Burn that to my 98 cd and that would solve that!

"Windows 98 Customer Service Pack available now on CD

The Windows 98 Customer Service Pack includes bug fixes for Windows 98 and Internet Explorer 4.0 as well as Year 2000 updates but does not include any new features. If you are running Windows 98 Second Edition you do not need the Customer Service Pack. Click here to order."

http://microsoft.upgrade.com/ doens't seem to exist anymore frown

I have a question. Can you download the updates to your HDD and put them on a CD for future installations? I have heard somewhere where you can do that. 8)

Thanks, a lot. I will download these and put them to a disk. Also, I will bookmark it for future reference. Seems like a nice site!!!! 8)