Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
twolfson

Why install SP3?

It seems the general concensus is that Win2K-SP2 is pretty much bullet proof. It has been on my computer.

Why install SP3 if this is the case?

Isn't that just opening up a new can of worms?

Opinions....

Terry

SP3 includes almost all hotfixes that have been released after SP2. Suppsedly the hotfixes in SP3 have been tested more in SP3 than the earlier pre-SP3 hotfixes.

The common practice for new SP's is to wait for 30 days...which seems to even more suitable to this SP since I have noticed some oddness with it..

Problem #1

1. Reinstall 2K Server fresh.

2. Installed my apps.

3. Had problem with network adapters. All 3 would not let me modify my IP settings stating that "I had to enable a protocol and enable the device). The device was enable. The protcol was there. The protocol was checked.

No go and I have no internet at home so I had to reinstall.

Problem #2

Got done reinstalling.

Installed IE6 release

Looking in SYSTEM32 or Recycle bin I get scripting errors for the web view. I have to disable web view for these folders. Dunno if this is a posted problem or not. Gonna have to check the web.

Well my web view has disappeared on any folder that isn't customized and nothing I do brings it back. frown

One good thing about SP3 though is that I can now use the new Application Compatibility Toolkit 2.5 which is much nicer than the old one.

2. Reinstalled IE6 again and now Web View works. Stupid IE6/SP3.

NEW ISSUE #3 (SORTA)

Installing 2K SP3 on a dual-boot with XP makes XP unable to boot.

This is because 2K SP3 replaces the NTLDR/NTDETECT.COM with it's own which does not recognize XP.

FIX: Replace NTLDR/NTDETECT.COM with the XP versions. Stupid Microsoft.

...includes 'Mother Microsoft's' own spyware (auto-update junk)...better to wait awhile on SP3 as it's *reputed* to have bugs. I can't validate the source of the bug data but since SP2 is ok, why rush into a dark room, so to speak?

...includes 'Mother Microsoft's' own spyware (auto-update junk)...better to wait awhile on SP3 as it's *reputed* to have bugs. I can't validate the source of the bug data but since SP2 is ok, why rush into a dark room, so to speak?

Yawn, and another fashionable MS basher adds their words or wisdom.

So lets hear it then, please tell, please share with us all.

Please list me all the "spyware" that is included with this service release.

You see, with automatic up[censored] I see this little check box that starts with "Keep my computer up to date" and if I uncheck it, guess what?

No automatic up[censored].

Reputed to have bugs would indicate that some alrge companies have had problems with this service release.

All of the reports I've read have indicated just the opposit, but once again please hit us with the information, I'm sure we'd all like to hear it.

Quote:

Yawn, and another fashionable MS basher adds their words or wisdom.
So lets hear it then, please tell, please share with us all.
Please list me all the "spyware" that is included with this service release.
You see, with automatic up[censored] I see this little check box that starts with "Keep my computer up to date" and if I uncheck it, guess what?
No automatic up[censored].

Reputed to have bugs would indicate that some alrge companies have had problems with this service release.
All of the reports I've read have indicated just the opposit, but once again please hit us with the information, I'm sure we'd all like to hear it.

All this paranoia just doesn't make any sense. There is no spyware in windows, there never was as far as i am aware. there is talk that they are cehecking your product key but so what? Even that activation everybody is so wired about in win xp and office xp does nothing more than reporting which country you are in and what your key is.

Quote:

This is because 2K SP3 replaces the NTLDR/NTDETECT.COM with it's own which does not recognize XP.

It's not SP3, this is true for any install of W2K after WXP. You will always need the newer NTLDR for dual boot to work. Install XP last and you avoid problems.

Quote:
Quote:

It's not SP3, this is true for any install of W2K after WXP. You will always need the newer NTLDR for dual boot to work. Install XP last and you avoid problems.

Yeeess, but they bothered to provide an updated NTLDR/NTDETECT.COM in SP3 so why not update it to be XP aware? That is the point that I was making. It's thing's like these that do not happen in the *nix world. NT4 was still compatible with the 2000 NTLDR/NTDETECT.COM....but XP was not. Interesting is it not? It's a bug..

Quote:

Yeeess, but they bothered to provide an updated NTLDR/NTDETECT.COM in SP3 so why not update it to be XP aware? That is the point that I was making. It's thing's like these that do not happen in the *nix world. NT4 was still compatible with the 2000 NTLDR/NTDETECT.COM....but XP was not. Interesting is it not? It's a bug..

Oh, I misunderstood earlier. I thought you installed W2K after WXP, when you meant that just by applying SP3 over a current install of W2K, it screws your dual boot with WXP.

I agree, MS are a bunch of retards for doing it this way.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I recommend bug spray.
it can be obtained from your local Supermarket any leading brand would do.