Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rockowal

HELP, concerning games with QUAKEIII engine

hey all, here is my major malfunction.

If seems since I have installed the XP Pro update I cannpt run ANY games with the QuakeIII engine.(QuakrIII, Mohaa, RTCW and JKII) Either they install and won't run or they won't install. I either get the error "couldn't load defaukt .cfg" or a catastrophic faliure. 3 of the games are retail and ALL worked on 98SE.

WinXP Pro is a copy from my son's job(which is up and running 24/7)and for some reason I can't do a FULL insrall even when changing my bios settings. UT, HL and THPS3 all run fine. here is what I have:

AMD 1 GHZ 768MB pc-133(freshly installed)

GeForce2 ti (29.42 drivers)

SBLV (XP Drivers)

4-1 drivers

the only patch I haven't installed was the refresh rate patch, but it hasn't been a prob so far with any of the other games or apps.

I know I noticed alot of people say they had NO probs running most of these games, but I guess I am that 1% or so that got bit.....HELP PLEASE!!!!!

rockowal

well, thanks for the reply, but since the games never even ran I had no need to install any mods to them so they are bone stock. oh, and JKII doesn't have or hasn't made a .cfg cause it won't play. As for the drivers, I did mention that I am using the 29.42 drivers. I just threw in my slave drive that I had sitting that had mohaa and rtcw on, they work!! I tried installing quake and jkII(again) nothing same thing. So, obviously if mohaa and rtcw are playing, it's not video related. I am not totally sure, but I think I installed those 2 games when I was running 2000 pro, but it may have been an older xp install. either way, 2 are working and the mystery continues......rockowal

u get any updates for the games to try it?

and what "XP Pro update" did u install?

u eman all of windows updates or?

do a fresh install of windows? is that an option?

Drivers:

Bios update

Sound Card update

Vid card

just an idea.

As for updates, I have and won't really do a bios update unless there is a "bigtime" problem. I know from the past, just flashing to update can do more harm than good. but I do have the "latest" video and sound and 4-1 drivers. As close to a fresh install I can do is, format and install 98SE, then update with XP Pro. For some reason (even with bios changes) my system won't boot the versions of XP Pro and 2000 Pro from cd. Are they retail? yes and no. My son works for an IT company and he made copies of the 2 OS's. So, other than being able to do a full install, it works. BTW, these games were working the last time I reformatted like 3 months ago, when someones UI program crashed me."totally". BTW again, what program are you using to display all that info?. thanks all rockowal

"As close to a fresh install I can do is, format and install 98SE, then update with XP Pro. For some reason (even with bios changes) my system won't boot the versions of XP Pro and 2000 Pro from cd."

Download the WinXP setup floppy disks from Microsoft's website. That will save you from having to upgrade from 98SE.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310994

Quote:
For some reason (even with bios changes) my system won't boot the versions of XP Pro and 2000 Pro from cd.[/b]

Hang on, what kind of "BIOS changes" are we talking about? The simple act of changing the boot order in the BIOS or a complete BIOS update? The 2000 CD is quite finnicky as to what it'll boot on. My own system needed a BIOS update before it'll recognise the 2k CD as a bootable disc. Perhaps your system is the same.

Not sure if you've fixed the problem or not, but here's what I used to fix a friends pc with the same problem. Open up each applicable folder (using quake iii arena as an example) and if the q3config.cfg file is read-only, remove that attribuite. If not, try either deleting that file, or renaming it. As I said, this may not work for you, but it DID fix the same problem I encountered on a friend's pc. Good Luck.

Just don't upgrade a 9x installation to an NT one, it just causes pain, just like the previous GL Quake thread here on NT Compatible, install clean. Upgrading over 2000 is ok, but if you can avoid it and start clean it would be good to do so.