Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hardwarecrazy

Windows 2000 - SP3 Feedback -Post here

anyone have a problem where they cant d/l windowsupdates. as soon as i try to dl/install them, they dont d/l and i get an error saying that win-updates failed, and to email ms. anyone seen this?

Ultrix delete iuctl.dll (backup it up if you want). Mine was in c:\winnt\system32. Then run windowsupdate and it will work.

Well, I actually had good results from installing SP3. Lately I've been getting BSODs on boot, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON-PAGED_AREA, which the Knowledge Base said was either faulty hardware installed, a bad driver, or a corrupted NTFS volume. Since I hadn't installed any new hardware or drivers in awhile, I figured it was the NTFS Volume, especially since I could boot ok if I went into Safe Mode and ran a CHKDSK /f /r like the KB said to for a corrupted volume. So, I spend the day backing everything up before I wipe my C drive and reinstall Win2k, and I figure before I do it, let me see how my machine will respond to SP3. So I install SP3, and the BSODs *GO AWAY*. No more BSODs on bootup. Oh well. At least I have a recent backup of all my stuff now. laugh

Well I figured out why Windows 2000 would not detect my Primary Slave HDDs full capacity. Apparently there is a bug with the ATAPI.SYS file in both SP2 and SP3, unsure about SP1, but I realized this after installing a copy of Windows 2000 Server on my PC, this install had no SP on it, and it detected the full 20 GB, but after applying SP2 or SP3 the OS detects only as 8 GB. So I took a copy of the ATAPI.SYS from the original CD of Server and put in Winnt\System32\Drivers on my SP3 Pro install and viola the system detects all 20 GB.

I remember it being this file since NT4 had a problem with large IDE disks and this was the file that was changed in a patch issued by MS. I am unsure if this problem only affects VIA KX133 users, VIA chipsets in general or Maxtor DiamondMax Hard Drives only.

Well I've had some weird happenings with Sp3. First I coulndn't download Win updates anymore. After I fixed that issue I delved into my favorite game Madden 2002. I went insane for days trying to figure out why my MS sidewinder gamepad [old gameport version]. Would stop working in Madden 2002 after a while. Luckily I run a 98SE dual boot and tried Madden on that OS and it worked fine. I had just installed the newest SB Live drivers and thought it was that. To my suprise for some reason SP3 causes it. Go figure that one. Had to uninstall SP3 and everything is fine. I had no other problems with SP3. I wonder if disabling power managment and SP3 causes this? I just hate the way Win 2k uses IRQ's. Apparently from what my brother's XP machine does is much smarter. It let's him have all his devices on one IRQ even with it handling power managment. Might force me to upgrade.

I think SP3 adds a new DINPUT.DLL you can try to manually replace that with the SP2 version.

On the automatic updates 'issue'... I've decided I didn't want MS to deliver 'updates' to my pc without my knowledge either so...

I disabled the automatic updates feature in control panel.

And stopped and disabled the following 2 services 'Automatic Updates' and 'Background Intelligent Transfer Service'.

Oh and blocked access to the svchost.exe file thorough my firewall laugh

IF that doesn't stop the damned thing im not sure what will!

Quote:

Oh and blocked access to the svchost.exe file thorough my firewall laugh

What does svchost.exe do that makes you wanna block it?

Quote:
Any of you guys unable to "drag and drop" files in Explorer.exe from folder to folder now?

I've installed SP3 several ways, over SP1, over SP2, over the original and slipstream sp3. No such probs.

svchost.exe runs dlls so like if there are dlls that microsoft uses to spy on you they wouldn't work or something. That is just a guess. I am not as paraniod as Curley and i also don't use win2k.