Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hardwarecrazy

Windows 2000 - SP3 Feedback -Post here

1. Looks like the installation is smooth and I did not experience any issues so far, on W2KS.

2. I read somewhere (with a screen shot) that talks about a change in the Control Panel, Add Remove programs that adds something called "Set Program Access and Defaults", included in SP3. Well, I have not seen it in my installation. Anyone else?

I have that icon available in a Win2k Pro test machine that I've just installed the SP onto.

Are you running Server? Maybe it's not available for that.

I installed SP3 this mornig and on the reboot it gave me a weird error message stating that it could not find a certain file.

this is the event log:

Detection of product '{1189284F-0556-47E5-8DCD-F8BF3176F4EA}', feature 'Core_Files' failed during request for component '{997FA962-E067-11D1-9396-00A0C90F27F9}'

I rebooted a second time and the message did not show up again. Dont know what the file it could not find. Since installing my computer seems to be just as stable as before.

As for the previous post asking if this is the final release, I looked at CNET and they stated that todays release was for perferred customers. General release is on Thursday.

Installed fine, not problems. Haven't seen in errors so far. Haven't seen any visible improvements, other then the Program Access and Defaults menu.

Just installed fine on 2 of my machines and its running smooth on the 2 most used systems...

5 to go... will report if any error occours during/after install!

laugh

SP3 is working 1000% great on my machine. I have noticed faster boot time and faster window and web page loads. Also noticed a "Set Program Access and Defaults" in the Start Menu. Love it so far, waited a long time for it. RUnning more bench marks now. So far it's about 8-12% faster on my machine.

I haven't installed SP3 yet because I am doing homework on my comp. I would just like to know if the refresh rate stuck at 60Hz still exists in OpenGL games? If it does well then I'll just have to keep using nvidia refresh rate fix.

I got some mixed results ...

Installation went smooth, it even rebooted fine after SP3 wink

All good so far?

No !

I get a BSOD with "Ntfs.sys" when I try to copy larger files or even when I try to search my HDDs. I don't have this problem in safemode ;(

Then I tried to swap the ntfs.sys for an older versio from SP2 but the same thing is happening. I even applied the SP3 in safemode.

Oh well, my system runs as long as I don't search via explorer or copy larger files, d'oh ... now I'm waiting for the official release of SP3, hoping it fixes this.

No, I didn't select the "backup old systemfiles" option cause I was also busy on my Gentoo Linux notebook at that time frown

This is the official file. It just hasn't been officially announce yet.

Try up[censored] your controller drivers and/or underclocking.

They set my NTFS up the bomb 8)

Bleh, I guess my NTFS was fubared somewhere, I finally ran some indepth chkdsk and now it behaves. A nice "chkdsk /x /f /r x:" on all my partitions seems to have fixed it.

So I change my mind to "go get it, tiger" laugh

I downloaded the SP3 from the link yesterday and now that it is officially out I downloaded it again to make sure they're the same. They are, the size in KB of both is exactly 127,909 KB.

After installing SP3, the web server portion of IIS now hangs when I boot. I get an Event ID 7022. Anyone else having this problem?

Is service pack 3 swedish language coming anytime soon or can i use the english language?

Bossen

i installed it a few days ago from my windows update from start menue,

it took a long time installing the SP3, but it went ok, and there where no problems to date on this pc.

A7V133

XP1800+

256PC133

GF4TI4200

AUDIGY

things are working ok so far (knocks wood).

The auto update allows you to toggle to manual.

So push becomes only if you want the updates. I see no problem with it --'cept maybe its max reminder delay is 3 days instead of never. smile

I just turned off the autoupdate and found that I can uninstall it too.Open the sysoc.inf file and remove hide, or ,hide from the autoupdate line.

The theory is that no new features are integrated into SP's. Microsoft seems to be breaking this rule lately but no there is no new ver of DX in a SP...possibily...mabye updated .dll's but no new DX.

i feel the need to confess stupidity...

re: the reminder thing on the autoupdate. I only noticed today that if ya don't want the update, you simply leave it unchecked and click close. duh smile