Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bytemangler

What am I missing

Was testing some thing but I got stump. I have 2 IDE running Win2K server. I was just testing the mirroring feature in W2K. I convert the basic disk to dynamic, create a mirror of IDE0 to IDE1. It goers through the regenerating stuff and reboot.

Now I have a mirror drive, everything works ok.

Here's the test. I break the mirror. shut down the system. Unplug the mirrored drive (IDE1) and boot from just the original drive. That went well.

Now I shut down the system. Unplug the IDE0, plug in the mirror drive IDE1 (making sure the jumper is set to master) and boot. Got as far as the login screen. When I try to log on it says I didn't have enough virutal memory and suggest I change it. Problem is I can't get in the system.

Do I have to edit the BOOT.INI file? what am I missing. What I'm doing is to have an identical drive of the original so when the HD fail I can unplug the fail drive and plug in the mirror..not much downtime overhead. You may suggest Raid 1 or 5 but I'm just toying with this idea and I'm trying to avoid expensive Raid solution. BTW. I will not be using IDE on the actual server, I just need it to test. Anyone have any suggestion?

Thanks

There are some questions un answered here.

Do you have more then one partition on the disks?

Did you connect the IDE1 disc to the IDE0 channel?

If you connect the IDE1 disc to the IDE0 channel you would not have to change anything. But if you connect the IDE1 disc to the IDE1 channel then you have to change the boot.ini file.

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Partition starts with 1 as the first partition

rdisk starts with 0 as the first disk on the channels

the thing you could try is that you backup the boot.ini file and then you connect both disks and then you edit the file and change the rdisk string to 1 instead of 0 and see if it will boot from the other disk.

here's was my test, did it twice from 2 separate hardware config.

test 1. 2 20 gig IDE on channel 1, CD is on channel 2. Disk only have one partition (c:\). After the OS is install I just convert the Basic disc to Dynamic and ADD MIRROR. I reboot when it's done. Then break mirror, shut down. make sure the mirror drive is set to Master drive and reboot. At the logon an error about not enough virtual memory. Problem is I can't get into Windows to change it. It just linger at the logon prompt.

test 2. Same scenerio as the test 1 but this time I use 2 4.3 SCSI drives. same confuration and same message.

I'm babling but hope it answers the question.

I ended up using Ghost 2002 to do a drive copy. Works great I can now have a perfect clean image of the OS in the computer wating to be turn on if the main drive ever craps out. This is my way of not going to RAID and have some redundency...

I still am interested in how to use the one from win2K though for purely educational purposes...if anyone does it successfully please feel free to post the steps.