Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

Java Virtual Machine no longer available for XP?

Yes it is, both from Windows Update, & from the download catalogue wotsit, failing that - do a search on the forum, there was a thread about it recently & I think Davros posted a link to it.

for now yes

it's a thing between ms and sun.

sun wants to pull the java script liscence from ms

ms says it wont support anything it has no access to code wise

(for security)

so in the near future ms may stop officially supporting java

Quote:

for now yes
it's a thing between ms and sun.
sun wants to pull the java script liscence from ms
ms says it wont support anything it has no access to code wise
(for security)
so in the near future ms may stop officially supporting java

They have no choice. To cut a long story short: M$ ****ed with Java, Sun sued, M$ got 0wnt and had their Java licence revoked which means they have a limited amount of time before they have to stop integrating Java into their products completely.

You will, however, still be able to use Sun's own virtual machine from java.sun.com ... I have been using this on my WXP system for some time and it works like a charm.

Quote:

Sun wanted it *their* way or no way at all, so it's no way at all.

Isn't that the purpose of a licence agreement? Had the situation been reversed M$ would have charged like a bull at a gate so why do all the M$ fanboys make Sun out to be the bad guy?

It is still available to download. You just have to find it...

Go to http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp.

Click on Personalize Windows Update.

Check "Display the link to the Windows Update Catalog under See Also"

Save Settings.

Click on Windows Update Catalog.

Find updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems.

Windows XP.

Search.

I believe it will be listed under Recommended Updates.

I just did a new installation last week and this is where I got it from.

-=ThePhatness

Some links...Google Groups are your friend!

-=ThePhatness

===================

For 9x, ME, NT, XP msjavx86.exe is available currently through a number

of ftp sites such as those listed here:

http://ftp.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/systems/win95/fixes/VM/msjavx86.exe

ftp://ftp.redcom.mu/pub/support/windows/corporate/8.04/winxp/en/com micro

soft.internetexplorer6x/x86WinXP/com microsoft.javavm 3319 MIL 4275/MSJav

x86.exe

ftp://ftp.uq.edu.au/mirror/microsoft/patches/winxp/javavm 3319 MIL 4275/M

SJavx86.exe

ftp://ftp.intergraph.com/ingr/pub/old/pub/federal/msjavx86.exe

(probable, but not positive that this is 3805)

http://www.alltheweb.com/go/2/H/ftp/ftp/ftp.euroweb.hu/pub/euroweb/neopho

ne/msjavx86.exe

http://www.alltheweb.com/go/6/H/ftp/ftp/ftp.univ-paris1.fr/pub/pc/correct

ifs/winxp/msjavx86.exe

http://www.alltheweb.com/go/13/H/ftp/ftp/ftp.cert.dfn.de/pub/vendor/micro

soft/msjava/Security Bulletins/msjavx86.exe

http://www.alltheweb.com/go/7/H/ftp/ftp/ftp.sunet.se/pub2/security/vendor

/microsoft/msjava/Security Bulletins/msjavx86.exe

On other ftp sites, be sure and download the 5473KB version to get

Version 3805.

Regards, Jim Byrd

Quote:

Isn't that the purpose of a licence agreement? Had the situation been reversed M$ would have charged like a bull at a gate so why do all the M$ fanboys make Sun out to be the bad guy?

There was a contractual obligation, and Sun stated do it our way or take it off. So, MS called their bluff. I say so what, let them make their own (since they update it I imagine it will run better anyway) and you imply that I am a fanboy? Well let me tell you something, I am. Get over it. I like MS, I get stuff for free all the time to make my job easier, and I can manage many servers on many networks with no problems using their products. However, I do like the idea of them letting Sun simply provide their own JVM and stepping away from it entirely. They licensed the Java tech at one time and added some extra crap to it to support their own Visual J++ (or whatever the hell it was) and Sun cried foul. Screw them, they can provide their own since they can probably do it better and make a faster running interpreter than MS would be will to spend time on.

Clutch,

if I install the SUN version (and I agree, it's better (much newer)) do I still get the ****ing coffeecup in my systray when browsing a site that contains java?

just wanna know before I get it (again)...

[edit] the reason I ask is I'm stuck with it since installing the Insight Manager Client for my Compaqservers...and I wanna get rid of it. [/edit]

/Toby

Umm, it appears so as I just installed it on my new box and I have it. I just poked about through the applet and I can't find anything about hiding the systray icon. frown But, I can tell you that it's worth it since it handles many more Java implementations smoothly (like the Lights-Out console on one of my Compaq servers).

thanks Clutch for the quick reply smile

I'll try to find out a way to disable it and if I do I'll let you know...

/Toby

Totally agree with clutch on this one. I use the one from MS site and it works fine for me. Sun was using this as a tool to aggravate MS and they did a good job of it. So MS pulled it from XP, and then Sun got upset.

Can't have it both ways.

i havea web site, that i go to, i got teh windows update JM, and when i vist this one web site, that is all mainly java based, it uses %100 cpu power.....? is this right?

(is uses a "download" script to download files to your computer, as soon as u gte on that window BAM! %100 cpu usage, and uigot a p4 1.8)

I like the Sun Java. You might have Java Virtual Machine but, you still need Sun Java for some programs to run. smile

tbph I much prefer the M$ Java to the Sun Java. I have to use the Sun Java with Opera and it sucks. Still, if you break the rules you deserve everything you get.