Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bennyk

Installing 2nd Harddrive

1.Installing 2nd hardrive will it upset my Xp os system?

2.Then can partion the 2nd harddrive in windows?

3.Is there a good program mover which will let me move a program from one partion to a other? Cheers.

1. No problem, as long as you shut down the machine first wink

2. Yep. Just open the Management console (right-click My Computer -> Manage) and go to the Disk Management section.

3. I don't know of any programs to do this... IMHO the best method is to just reinstall the programs in question. For most programs though, you could just copy the files over and update the shortcuts. If it has any config files or registry entries that point to the old drive, you will need to update those as well. There are so many variables in program installations that I don't think it would be feasible to write one utility that can move any program...

Cheers for that Cuviper,is there no utility program?When i used win98se last year i used Cleansweep by Symantec but they don't make one for Xp.

I'm running XP Professional on an IBM Aptiva 600 MHz,512 Megs of Ram and a 15 Gig hard drive. I've needed extra space for all my downloads so I decided to install an extra hard drive.

Without any available bays I went about installing a 60 Gig Maxtor drive using strapping juryrigged to my only drive case.The neat thing about Maxtor drives is that everything is easy. An installation kit is included containing all hardware,software (a Maxblast floppy and CD)that automatically leads you through checking and configuring your new drive. You will need an XP floppy boot disc (Dos) at one point during the installation so have one available.

It only allowed me to format under fat32 but the drive was easily converted to NTFS using the RUN command "convert c: /fs:ntfs". No quotation marks needed and the letter used is whatever the label of your drive is.You can partition your drive as you see fit and drag and drop files to your new drive.

Everything went smoothly and I'm more than pleased with the results.I heartily recommend Maxtor for the ease of installation. Good luck! smile

I agree that Maxtor drives are nice, but it is not a good idea to format as fat32 and convert to ntfs. If you are starting with a fresh drive, and you intend to go to ntfs anyway, then it is best to format directly into ntfs. That way you don't get stuck with the small cluster size that the "convert" command gives you. Since you are talking about a brand new drive here, you should format it rather than convert it.

I don't know the answer to question 3, but maybe this will do it. It is a program called Intellimover. It was already installed on my new comp. and I never used it. Maybe it will work.