Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DosFreak

The: What Computer Part did you buy this week thread

Quote:
yea you need to download intellitype
and set your media button to start winamp
then the play and pause will work for it

Hmm... That didn't work when I first tried... Perhaps that was because the Media button wasn't explicitly set to start Winamp. Thanks anyway.

Quote:
and sapiens74
they took the page with the natural kb pro down
the mulitmedia one you have is just like it just has new colors

The reason they took it down is because they don't make either of these keyboards anymore. And the Multimedia Keyboard looks like it lacks the internet hotkeys and the Internet Keyboard (which my folks have) lacks the multimedia keys and neither have the inbuilt USB hub so it appears that MS can give you one or the other but not both.

Quote:

The reason they took it down is because they don't make either of these keyboards anymore. And the Multimedia Keyboard looks like it lacks the internet hotkeys and the Internet Keyboard (which my folks have) lacks the multimedia keys and neither have the inbuilt USB hub so it appears that MS can give you one or the other but not both.

my kb has internet keys multimedia keys and 2 usb ports
so it appears they can give you all those features in one they jus aren't doing it anymore.

Mine works with winamp with the newest software.

I have to wait till Tuesday for UT 2003.

Hawaii takes longer

Yeah, EB, Software Etc., and Best Buy all said that as well, but Software Etc. got their first batch in today and didn't even know that it was coming.

Quote:
I could not for the life of me find a widescreen HDTV with any kind of monitor connnector.

Well HDTV seems to to still be a novelty for the rich here, & not the sorta thing you see in most high-street stores, but I have seen the 15 pin D-Sub connectors on ordinary widescreen TVs. Having done a search on the net [which was more productive when I searched on "XGA" instead of just computer :)] there are plenty with that type of input.... but they're all LCD, Plasma, rear-projection, or actual projectors, which are all a tad pricey.

However, if you'd be willing to settle for SVGA then I did find a place called Electroline that does some HDTVs with SVGA input for somewhat less scarey prices.

Quote:
wouldn't you want a dvi connector on a digital tv instead of a vga one?

Not instead of, as well as. Not all graphics cards have DVI output. I mean, if it's only gonna have 1 or the other then it should be a 15 pin D-Sub connector, but ideally it ought to have both.

This week i bought the following -

1. Creative Audigy Player

2. Lain-Li Aluminium Case

3. 2 80MM Case Fans with LED's (Looks cool when the light comes through the front of the case) :x

4. A new CPU Fan with Blue LED's

5. An ECS K7SFA Skt A Motherboard

6. Sony STRDE375 Dolby Amplifier (only used for my pc to attach my new audigy so i can get 5.1)

7. Eltax Movieboxx 5.1 (to connect to the sony amp)

This week i broke the following -

1. Gigabyte GA-7DXR+ Motherboard and i had to replace it with the ECS which is not going to compare to my Gigabyte board which had the world on it.

Received:

2 PCI USB 2 Cards.

Some USB2/IEE1394 Cables

ME-320 USB2/IEE1394 External Enclosure

Also order 2 Intel 1G NICS for my 2 PC's and a USB 2 PCMCIA card. smile

Bought a new HDD this week - a 60GB Maxtor 5TO60H6 [DiamondMax Plus 60]. It's not the 1 I wanted, or was saving up for, [i wanted the WD 120GB Special Edition (although I've seen the 200GB v. is now available :D), which I someday still hope to get]. but I didn't see that I had any choice really, as my DeathStar's bad behaviour was getting worse [like randomly spinning down or refusing to spin up!]. Having fiddled about with my hardware I have both HDDs in & running, & the DeathStar hasn't gone to sleep again since I did the re-arranging [Wednesday, when I bought the Maxtor], so I guess it is possible that its spinning down & refusal to spin up again may have been power related [i've disconnected my old CD ROM [still got CDRW in there] & a cheapo fan I had lying around that I had decided to hook up]. However, the DeathStar has also been occasionally doing that FING [Fear Inducing Noise of Grinding] that they are known for doing, so I decided that the risk of waiting until I could afford the WD HDD wasn't worth it.

Oh well, @ least I have a bit more elbow room, in terms of storage space. @ the mo I'm just using the DeathStar for stuff like my swap file, temp files & temporary internet files. I'm not really willing to put anything more critical on it, for fear of losing it.

My next intended purchase is some RAM. PC World are selling 512MB sticks of PC133 for only £49!

Quote:
Quote:
the DeathStar

LOL! Hilarious... gotta be the IBM 60-75gb series, right?

(Good name for the DeskStar!)

30GB 75GXP

Quote:
Quote:
I decided that the risk of waiting until I could afford the WD HDD wasn't worth it.

Got one... FLIES!

Git! No need to rub it in! :P

Quote:
(At least your getting some useful mileage outta that "deathstar" (lol) as you call it using it as secondary swappage/temp duties in meantime!)

smile

Yeah, it frees up a bit of space, & also might improve performance a little [probably won't notice it though] as the 2 HDDs are on seperate channels.

Quote:
P.S.=> I dumped my RAID setup & will be doing all that on a Cenatek RocketDrive PCI-ScSi SolidState Ramdrive card soon w/1gb PC-133 SDRAM by Micron on it... it's gonna FLY! Can't wait... 4-5 more weeks tops! apk

I think it would be interesting to take that idea of the SolidState Ramdrive, add more RAM [say a total of 4 or 8GB] & install windows on it, then have some software for incremenetal backup to the HDD when the system is idle. I don't remember the specifics of the card you're talking about, but I remember looking @ 1 that you posted a link for & it had its own PSU, seperate to that of the PC, so that it retained all data when the PC was powered off, like a conventional HDD would. Now that would be FAST!

Quote:
I would put on 4gb right off, but the cost of RAM (even PC-133/PC-150 SDRAM) went up again...

(I don't think this one, Cenatek, saves state... Platypus might though!)

* So, 1gb will do (for now) for what I plan to use it for!

smile

RAM's currently @ the cheapest I've ever seen it over here [well, in 1 place anyway - might be a sale, but I didn't see it advertised as such]. I woulda bought myself some if I hadn't needed a new HDD more urgently. Hopefully I'll be able to get some before the price goes up or they run out.

Quote:
Quote:
I could not for the life of me find a widescreen HDTV with any kind of monitor connnector.

Well HDTV seems to to still be a novelty for the rich here, & not the sorta thing you see in most high-street stores, but I have seen the 15 pin D-Sub connectors on ordinary widescreen TVs. Having done a search on the net [which was more productive when I searched on "XGA" instead of just computer :)] there are plenty with that type of input.... but they're all LCD, Plasma, rear-projection, or actual projectors, which are all a tad pricey.

However, if you'd be willing to settle for SVGA then I did find a place called Electroline that does some HDTVs with SVGA input for somewhat less scarey prices.

A m8 was telling me that they are supposed to be "copy protecting" HDTV signals to prevent copying of films and t,v shows via what ever method - how ever this will dgrade the quality signifigantly

I was like, okay, if someone wanted something that bad they would just get a regualr T.V - also as he said, whay are you paying the high prices for the quality, when it will be degraded.

will try to find the full story.

Arrrggh, meant to bring my list of stuff i bought in with me but I forgot. frown

Bump for Tuesday. laugh

Got my package from newegg yesterday

2 External USB2/1394 5.25" Enclosures.

One for me and one for a friend

1 USB 2 PCI card

for a friend

1 Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum

1 black floppy drive

for a friend

Another pack of thumbscrews, & a 512MB stick of PC133 [£44.99 from PC World].

Clutch how you like your P4PE so far.

My switch was a bit rough from my P4T533-C but I got windows back in shape and she runs good so far