Sign in to follow this  
shearerc

Overcoming limitations of Recovery Console

Quoting MS Article Q229716:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Restrictions and Limitations of the Command Console

From the Windows Recovery Console you can only use the following folders:

The root folder

The %SystemRoot% folder and the subfolders of the Windows installation you are currently logged on to

The Cmdcons folder

Removable media drives such as CD-ROM drives

NOTE: If you try to obtain access to other folders, you receive an "Access Denied" error message. Also, while you are using the Windows Recovery Console, you cannot copy a file from the local hard disk to a floppy disk. You can copy a file from a floppy disk or CD-ROM to a hard disk, and from one hard disk to another hard disk.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

How can I overcome these limitations, especially getting Recovery Console to access(read/write) other folders apart from the ones stated in the article ?

My "fix" is to use my NTFSDOS disks. Haven't bothered with the recovery console....any operation that involves digging that far into the directory tree I usually either boot up my other copy of NT or stick the HD in another computer. With the HUGE amount of files I have copying/organizing without a GUI would be a nightmare.

Thanks Alex ! I found it and enabled it.

So, I'm assuming that one cannot use Rec Console if Win2k is not installed. Correct ?

Quote:

[/b]

I install it as a bootup option, but you can boot from your CD iirc & use it there as well.

* smile

APK

Do u mean if my HD is blank I can bootup system from Win2k CD & run Rec Console? If so, how to remove restrictions(HD is blank, so no secpol.msc to edit)?