Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr-Hipshot

Temperature on a WDC 80gig

Is there any possiblility to se the temperature n a WDC 80gig disk, I can se it on the IBM 30.7 ... it seems like it is disabled for the wdc, or isnt any avalible...

Nono, I dont mean that, I mean with a app like Dtemp ... then you can se the internal disk temp with the SMART function avalible on the disk.

Well VIAHM dosent support that, but thats cause they have no reason, MBM does, dont know about Probe. What I do know is that Dtemp and MBM does, and that it is a physical function inside the drive. And WD dotn have a tool what I have seen.

On the ibm on the otherhand the function is on, and I can se the temp, WD states that there is SMART functions in therir drives, and there is one to, but the temp seems to be diabled by some reason.

Ive mailed WD but I dont think that they will answer me on that...

Actually MBM doesn't support reading temperatures from SMART enabled drives. However, there are 3rd-party plug-ins for it that will.

To check if your WD drive supports HD temperatures, I/we could really do with the model number.

HDDTemperature is a nice app. and has a list of known supported drives.

Hope this helps,

--Cynan.

Well, Ive mailed them, WDC that is, heres the answer:

Greetings Jockum,

Thank you for contacting Western Digital.

We do not have a temperature meter feature for our drives.

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Barbara G.

Customer Service and Support

Western Digital

To bad frown hope they make it in their new ones wink

Well, I can say that a disk @ 60c is not good, the data may suffer then...

a normal disk runs at about 25-30, my ibm without a fan is at 40-45... I think my WDC is higher... frown

Well, I have tied up my disks at the 5.25 to, and got a 120 @ 5v sucking hot air from them, works good to... wink

Please note that HDDTemperature, and other such programs currently do not support reading HD temperatures from drives that are connected to RAID controllers, as you Alex, probably have yours on.

If you read the instructions for HDDTemperature, that would be clear.