Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jdulmage

Ever have this happen to you........?

owned-scandisk.jpg

For me, only on old drives (like 40 MB ones) or floppy disks.

But it's funny to see it THAT badly hurt.

Actually, I had a 20Mb drive that did something like that. The problem only became obvious when the drive was cold so I would pull it out and put it in the fridge for a couple of hours before running ScanDisk on it. Unfortunately later down the track I played around with fdisk wiping them all out. I tried to scan them again but in the end I just gave up, getting a better computer instead.

Had something similar with a 6.4 drive other week. Had about 500 bad clusters smile

And they wanted data recovery laugh

Ive had that on 3 different Maxtor drives, 2 6.4GB and 1 8GB. More and more bad clusters just kept appearing so they got RMAd.

The 4th replacement is still working though atm, after about 2 years, but no maxtor drive is going near my pc again laugh

Yes low level formatting can help sometimes, but it can't help you recovering the data smile

Otherwise i just don't bother with them.

a single bad cluster will mean a nice shortcut to the Bin or Distributor for the drive.

M4Carbine, an experience is better than 1000 warnings smile

I'm a big fan of SprinRite from Steve Gibson (the guy behind ShieldsUp security scan and countless security articles). Only problem is it doesn't work on NTFS. Check it out at http://grc.com/spinrite.htm. The Data Recovery features in SpinRite (see http://grc.com/srrecovery.htm) have saved me countless times.

And before anyone asks, No I don't work for Gibson Research, just a big fan of Steve's software laugh