Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DosFreak

OMG. Maximum PC

August 2002 Page 50 Ask The Doctor

Quote:
Getting Rid of That Pesky Floppy Drive

I just recently built my newest system and decided I didn't need a floppy drive. I assembled the machine, went into the bios, disabled everything that even mentions floppy, loaded WIN98SE, and bang...it works...not! If I go to My Computer it shows a "Removeable Drive A" and if I go to the performance tab on the System Properties window it shows the message: "Drive A is using MS-DOS compatibility mode (yadda yadda)..." Can you please tell me what on earth I have to do to convince Win98 that there is no floppy drive? - SHANE WEAVER

Quote:
After conducting exhaustive digging through our archive and harassing sources around the web,the only thing we know to do is upgrade your OS to Windows 2000 or Windows XP. (The Microsoft Knowledge Base article about this very issue says, "To work around this problem, you can safely ignore it.")

We've tested floppiless configs with both Windows 2000 and Windows XP and not had any of the weird problems that you describe with your Windows 98 config.

Here's the solution that any tech worth his/her salt should know:

Solution: Go into bios. Enable: "Report No FDD For Win95" option.

Well that was pathetic. ;( Geesh, I knew this one off the top of ma' head and I NEVER USE IT AND NEVER HAVE NEEDED TO ENABLE IT FOR ANYONE I KNOW PERSONALLY. I only remember faintly mabye a year or two ago telling someone and I remember seeing it in my bios every time I enter it. I also may have used it a loooooooooooonnnng time ago when I used 98 as one of my Primary OS's back in 1998 (98/NT4 dual-boot). I just did a quick search and www.rojakpot.com has it listed in their famous Bios Optimization Guide. Terrible...Terrible. "Maximum" PC has hit a new low.

*Arrghh, forgot the command for the shameful head nodding smilie. mad Mabye I should ask Maximum PC? laugh

This month was my last issue from them, and I have issues [censored] back to Dec '97 (when it was known as "boot"). Well, all good things...

Yep, Boot kicked...well you know the word. wink Mabye it was the name change that did 'em in? frown I like to read magazines because I do not have the time to read articles in full on the internet. My only internet access is at work and I spent all of my time researching work related things which usually have nothing to do with small-time computer stuff but mainly Infrastructure/Server technology. I also find the Internet reviews most of terrible quality. This is why I still buy magazines off the shelf but do not buy subscriptions.

I usually have work buy subscriptions for me, but this one was from a long time ago that I was maintaining. MaxPC just lost their luster a long time ago, and it was time to lay them to rest.

Yea - I have started to notice the crap that they have been putting out - but I have seen C.P.U. (Computer Power User) that is actually a really decent mag in replacement.

(I just got all excited when I seen it cause we dont get much cpu mags here in saskatchewan - either that or jdulmage is taking them all laughlaugh:D)

I am taking them all...BUT, there is a solution:

We have plenty in Saskatchewan...my former school has like 8 different ones that they get in Regina. You just have to search.