Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CygnusX

Extremely annoying sound problem

Hi !

I installed WinXP (clean install) last Monday and since then i am having this problem : The sound skips or chutters during videos played from the CD, like for example i have a game and there is an introductory video on the cd , the sound skips everytime my dvd rom reads data from the cd ! in essence this happens everytime the light on the dvd-rom flashes.... I didn't have this problem under Win98 SE...

Any ideas ?

Thanks !

Specs :

WinXP Pro (All the critical updates installed)

Duron 1 GHz

MSI K7T Pro (Bios ver. 3.3 , latest VIA drivers)

Prophet 4500 64 MB (latest drivers)

Philips Seismic Edge 5.1 PSC705 (latest drivers installed)

Creative's 6x-24x DVD ROM

P.S Damn it i found the whole situation extremely annoying , what with the refresh rate bug and then this .... i thought new OS's supposedly solve problems ,not creating new ones... please help !

Cygnus

Check that your CD/DVD drives are using DMA mode, and not PIO mode. smile

Just check device manager, and under IDE/ATA controllers, double click on secondary IDE channel, and then the advanced tab in there can tell you smile

Actually yes the DVD is working in PIO mode , (the DVD and the 2nd HD are connected to the 2nd IDE channel through the same cable)

BUT i can't change the PIO mode of the DVD to DMA don't know why... even though i clicked the "DMA if availiable" at transfer mode... The 2nd HD is using Ultra DMA mode 2...

Thanks

Cygnus

Check out www.viahardware.com and download JUST smile the IDE driver from the downloads page.

Try an install of that and see if it enables DMA on the drive.

Uninstalling and reinstalling VIA's IDE drivers enabled the DMA mode and thus solving my problem !!!!

Thanks !

Cygnus