Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lockey

Need help shutting down XP

Recently i bought an MSI Geforce 4 Ti 4400, when i installed the card i decided to leave the PCI slot next to it free, so i moved my modem from the PCI slot and moved it further along. Ever since then my pc freezes on shut down, it's not anything to do with Roxio's software as i don't have any of their products, and it does not freeze on the savings settings part which i also know is a common problem that occurs and that there is a microsoft fix for it, i've already tried that and it made no difference. If i move the modem back to the PCI slot next to the AGP slot the problem dissapears and everything works fine. I would appreciate any suggestions on how i might fix this porblem as i want to leave the card with a little breathing space.

well...if the problem disappears when you move the card, then leave it where it is...obviously the PCI slot is damaged or something.

There's a fix for the freeze @ the point where it says it's saving settings? Anyone have more info on this? It doesn't happen that often to me, but i'd like to have the fix for when it does.

Hum, let me think....

Yep, that's it...

12 gauge...this is the best way to shutdown XP.

It might be something to do with the modme and another device sharing an IRQ and the are confilicting not releasing the IRQ on shut down. I've got the same problem in my Athlon 850 system that I built for my sister.

Alien, the fix for the freeze on 'saving your settings' is discussed in the following knowledge base article:

MSKB Q307274

Quote:

Alien, the fix for the freeze on 'saving your settings' is discussed in the following knowledge base article:

MSKB Q307274
Thanks smile