Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
duylinhdo

About setting up Samba

Hi all,

I am having difficulty setting up Samba on my rh 7.3 and also w/ rh 8.0 so that I can share it to the 2k system. And I have tried various howtos on the net and still can get it.

Could someone please help!

Thank you much in advance.

ldd ;(

What are you trying to do, setup a server or a client? If you are simply connecting to other windows machine (acting as a client) try using a nice front end like Komba2 (for KDE 2.x) or LinNeighborhood (it has worked the same in KDE 2.x and 3.x for me, although I don't know what libraries it depends on since I use them in Debian-based or Gentoo systems :)). Komba2 is my fav, but I could never get the beta of Komba3 to work with KDE 3.x very well, so on those systems I use LinNeighborhood. Check out freshmeat.net for rpms.

Clutch,

Thank you for replying. I am trying to set Samba up as a server. The windows 2k side just can't see the linux computer name and or the share dir. And there was times it could see it but then it said cann't accessible or something like that.

And should I set it up as a stand alone server or a pdc or an authenticate one and so on? All should I try them all to see what happens. I am just confused by looking at the docs and the howtos.

I can ping the two computers and it works fine.

I am currently setting up at home w/ two computers. I also set up a linux box 7.3 at work and try to connect to the company NT domain w/ a lot of computers on the net.

Thank you,

ldd

I can't remember the specifics right now, as it's been a while since I setup a SAMBA server. But, you really don't need to have it setup as a PDC server for now, so you can get that out of the way. Essentially, you will want to set the "WORKGROUP" to be the same as your NT domain, so it will show up there in browse lists. Also, when creating shares, try a test one by un-commenting one of the "everyone=read only" entries, and then restart SAMBA to see if you can see the share from other systems (if you don't have a spiffy GUI for it, it will probably be "$ /etc/init.d/samba restart"). Instead of waiting for the system to show up in the browse list (which can take a while, especially without a WINS box) just use "\\linuxbox-name" in Explorer to see if it comes up, and then check to see if the share shows up as well. If all that works, you will have to either set your share security to user, share, or workgroup iirc, and workgroup will require some sort of password sync with a PDC which can be a hassle when learning this. So, I would suggest making shares available initially by creating locked down accounts on the server along with a "samba" group (if not already present) and adding permissions to the share via the smb.conf file.

Of course, you might want to make sure this makes at least some sense, as I haven't done this in a while and my linux test box here is compiling a new Gentoo install right now...

smile

If you are new to samba, the easiest way to set it up is using SWAT. Instal and start SWAT then point your web browser to http:\\localhost:901 and you should get a user/password box up, enter root and password. Then use the web pages to set it up.

Remember you need users and passwords set up for samba - just having them as linux accounts isn't enough.

Hope this helps.

All I had to do for my Mandrake box was make sure the Samba processes (SMBD/NMBD) were running in the Mandrake Control Center, edit my /etc/samba/smb.conf file and change the workgroup to the same one I am using on my local (Windows) network.

As ROOT, run;

#smbpasswd -a username (must match the user name of the windows machine)

Give password x2 of the user (must match password of the user on the windows machine). Then as ROOT, restart the Samba processes by running

#/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb stop

#/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start

It was that simple with Mandrake. Every windows machine can now access my Linux machine and gain access to their own folders.

You might want to get your hands on the smb.conf file from mandrake's latest release. Of all the sample config files, this one made the most sense.

Originally posted by clutch:

Quote:
I can't remember the specifics right now, as it's been a while since I setup a SAMBA server. But, you really don't need to have it setup as a PDC server for now, so you can get that out of the way. Essentially, you will want to set the "WORKGROUP" to be the same as your NT domain, so it will show up there in browse lists. Also, when creating shares, try a test one by un-commenting one of the "everyone=read only" entries, and then restart SAMBA to see if you can see the share from other systems (if you don't have a spiffy GUI for it, it will probably be "$ /etc/init.d/samba restart"). Instead of waiting for the system to show up in the browse list (which can take a while, especially without a WINS box) just use "\\linuxbox-name" in Explorer to see if it comes up, and then check to see if the share shows up as well. If all that works, you will have to either set your share security to user, share, or workgroup iirc, and workgroup will require some sort of password sync with a PDC which can be a hassle when learning this. So, I would suggest making shares available initially by creating locked down accounts on the server along with a "samba" group (if not already present) and adding permissions to the share via the smb.conf file.

Of course, you might want to make sure this makes at least some sense, as I haven't done this in a while and my linux test box here is compiling a new Gentoo install right now...

smile

im configuring it as the domain server not the client im running Fedora Core 2 and im switching it from Windows Server 2003 to Fedora... and im doing NetBIOS ppl have been telling me the wrong thing please Email me back ASAP at paintballMC117@hotmail.com