Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RandyC

weird XP startup BSOD problem

Hi there,

On my step dads PC running Win XP it keeps on coming up with a BSOD and in the dump message stating STOP : 0x0000007e (0xC0000005, ... ). The only hardware changes were to add another 52x CDROM drive adding to the existing one but the PC has worked fine for the 2 weeks since the install. The complete PC specs are below. I have never had any problems with the computer before now as it used to be my old PC.

Specs:

AMD K6/2 550

300w PSU

Gigabyte GA5-AX (ALi Apollo 5 chipset)

384mb PC100 RAM

1 Aopen 52x CD-ROM drive

1 Samsung 52x CD-ROM drive

IBM 60GXP 20gb

Fujitsu 1gb

3com Internal Modem

Diamond Viper V330 4mb (nVIDIA RIVA 128)

Any ideas as these BSODs have just come out of the blue and I can't seem to enter safe mode or even repair from my WinXP cd frown

Thanks in advance for any light you might shead on this matter ...

you've got me stumped. What you should do is do the F8 before boot to display the list of choices, try Last Known Good Configuration. If that doesn't work, use Debug Mode, so that it makes a txt file, when it messes up, boot in to DOS using a boot disk or whatever and copy the file to disk, and post it here, lol, so I can see more of it.

Alternatively, give it the old "format c: /q" and do it over. Sorry I can't be of much help, because I am not sure what you were doing last on the machine when it started displaying that or anything.

oh yeah, and the 7e type errors are based on hardware. Try removing all unneccessary devices from your computer.

Probably only need hard drive, RAM, floppy, video, monitor, keyboard and mouse. Then try to boot it and see what happens.

I tried to repair by booting off the winxp cd and starting the install program but it also BSODs. As far as I know my step dad wasn't making any changes to windows he was just surfing the net using the modem. I'll try to start it up in debug mode (i'm sure I tried to do that before but it came up with a file not found or corrupt ... something in the windows/system32 dir). I'll make a note of that file if it comes up again ...

Ok will do, I'll try it again tomorrow. Thanks for your advice.

Quote:

Ok will do, I'll try it again tomorrow. Thanks for your advice.

that's why I have 1000+ posts ;( ;( ;(

I had a problem with many blue screens, it turned out that i had bad ram, it seemed to be working at first, but after a wile i would get many blue screens a day go here Sim Tester and grab the util to test your ram, a long shot, but it might help. Oh when running the test you shouldn't get any errors at all (that is if you decide to take my advice)...