Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jdulmage

Stupidest Customer/Person You Know (Computers)

Quote:

Actually,
If you short whatever with the ground (virtual or real) it will be grounded smile

EXCEPT that if the short provides a lower resistance path (as is virtually always the case) then the current will be shunted in that direction as electrons always follow the path of least resistance. laugh

Quote:

EXCEPT that if the short provides a lower resistance path (as is virtually always the case) then the current will be shunted in that direction as electrons always follow the path of least resistance. laugh

And there will be no voltage as V=i*R
Whole point of ground. And since the whole current will fow trough the 0 resistance, there will be no voltage at any point in a linear cct which is what that was.

Only thing i can think of is a feedback from the GND. But we are running on PC here, if this was the case other mices would do the same.

Anyway what does it matter... We are not in the business of designing new mices smile

Quote:
Anyway what does it matter... We are not in the business of designing new mices

Agreed, but if you use V=i*r you must also account for Rwire or Ranythingthathasresistanceinthepath and thats what the voltage will be measured across. The current is what matters in this situation.

If it is a voltage supply, the current will be V/R where R can be anything that has been altered by the short. It all depends on how much current the supply can source.

If it is a current supply there will still be voltage as the wire to ground can have resistance, though very little, the current will spike. This is the problem that a short circuit produces. Large currents over little resistance.

Quote:

How can a mouse melt? they get 5V's and what .1 mA's This prooves it bad engineering can create miracles.
LOL, that's nothing - I was on a course 1 time [free & had nothing better to do, & for the qualification - which I never got - place got shut down from lack of funds], & as I kinda had a rep for knowing more than even the tutors [not actually that difficult!], it was me who usually got asked for help if something went wrong. So 1 day this girl calls me over cos her mouse buttons were vibrating. I was like "WTF??? This a windup?" but sure enough, it was true.

Not having come accross the problem before, & the fact that the picture on the screen seemed to be fluctuating from side to side @ the same frequency as the mouse buttons, I decided that as I hadn't come accross this problem before I'd let someone else have fun with it, so shut the machine off & told the ppl who ran the course to call their contracted engineer out. So the guy comes out & has a look, & I ask him what the cause was - guess what he blamed it on? A Word macro virus!!! I kid you not. The system was infected with said macro virus, but I knew that couldn't be it. I later found out that this is an occasional thing that can happen with older systems & PS2 mice.

Oh, & Uykucu - some mobos whilst claiming to be PCI 2.1 complient, just aren't - & it's usually all boards of same model, not just a 1-off, though I would have thought that would be very rare nowadays.

Quote:

Oh, & Uykucu - some mobos whilst claiming to be PCI 2.1 complient, just aren't - & it's usually all boards of same model, not just a 1-off, though I would have thought that would be very rare nowadays.

A brand new Asus P4T-E with i850 and 800Mhz RDRam????
I am putting my money on a oneoff! Hell Asus Socket 7's supoort it!

Quote:

A brand new Asus P4T-E with i850 and 800Mhz RDRam????
I am putting my money on a oneoff! Hell Asus Socket 7's supoort it!
LOL, I hope for your sake it is a 1-off. smile

Ok, here's another 1 for you, by a guy I was arguing about XP with:

"I *know* you take XP to bed with you each night, but cant you just accept that its really no better than 98SE stability wise, once you get either set up right?"

Does this guy know something I don't? smile

Quote:

LOL, I hope for your sake it is a 1-off. smile

I know it is one off, since i used this board B4. they work like a charm. I have seen single or all PCI slots not working, this is the first time PCI2.1 only!

Quote:

Ok, here's another 1 for you, by a guy I was arguing about XP with:

"I *know* you take XP to bed with you each night, but cant you just accept that its really no better than 98SE stability wise, once you get either set up right?"

Does this guy know something I don't? smile

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!