Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jdulmage

Stupidest Customer/Person You Know (Computers)

Ad myself to the list.

I got into a little scuffle last night after one too many pints of Guinness.

Turned into a full fledged bar fight.

I have this very nice old ladie who came

on my place a couple of years ago.She said

she's having a problem with her computer.So i told

her that a little cleanup of the hardrive

will do the job.

The next day, she came again with the hardrive

on her hands.She said that she do everything

i said the other day and it doesn't help.

I took the hardrive and the cover drop on the floor!

I said, what did you do with the hardrive mam??

And she simply said , " I just cleaned it,like

you said!!!!!"

P.S.(Sorry for my english!)

OMG.

How about this...just happened days ago.

Went to someone's house, got their computer, took it back to the business...first off, it hadn't been cleaned since 1998 when they got the system, and the people that use it have pets and they smoke...it took us over an hour to clean the case and components, because we refused to touch something so gross.

The entire system was shot, so they had to buy some parts...we got them installed, installed Windows 98 (typical arguement between them, with them saying that 98 is better than any other OS out there, whatever). Got it working 100%...hooked it up, had to call the ISP because she didn't have the IP/Gateway/DNS information written down...so I get as far as the TCP/IP Properities and she calls them, they ask us where we are, and she said "TCP/IP Properities" and they TOLD US TO EXIT FROM THAT!!! The next minute, they tell us **** that we already know, and we end up in the EXACT SAME SPOT...we enter the information, it's all set up and working.

The next day, she says "Hi, it's <name censored for privacy reasons>, we were installing some programs and something screwed up, so we had to reinstall Windows (I'm thinking "WTF?!?!" at this point) and now they can't get internet working. Our ISP says it's our ethernet card that isn't working, because they helped me try everything".

I go over there...look, THE DAMN SETTINGS ARE GONE!!!! I put them back on, remembering them from the day before...nothing is working, I can't reinstall IE6, I can't use IE, period, it keeps crashing. I go in to Connections and it turns out that in LAN Settings, there was an automatic configuration script...I look at my partner and shake my head, I disable it, everything works fine. Nice of the ISP to not know their asses from a hole in the ground...but they all use Macintosh computers over there, so do I expect any less?

None the less, I charged her $45 for that and the funny thing is, she thought that we weren't going to charge her, because customers figure that once you repair their system once and charge, that you'll do it from then on for FREE!! WRONG...Dumbasses.

Yes, i totally agree with you laugh (for once :D)

The people whose PC's I've dealt with have been pretty good---but then again, I'm not doing this on a daily basis, more now and then, off-to-the-side deal.

So We are being PC here and not saying when person is a ****ing moron?

How bout the person who I tell "DO NOT HIT THAT BUTTON UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!"

Then they do.

HAppens everyday

THey are stupid

Quote:

Guys...

Don't you think that it's wrong to call them "stupid" or "dumb"?

Odds are they're not unintelligent.

They're just not experts in this field, or even experienced to a large extent... remember: They're new at it!

Don't you remember being new at this stuff? I do... more than a decade ago, but still, I remember it. I remember making some really foolish mistakes but that's how you learn sometimes. I remember not being able to comprehend at first how to use a mouse even!

(That was with my first use of Windows 3.1's graphical interface in fact in 1992 after coming from years of midrange & mainframes use in the 80's on IBM System36/38 & Vax 1180 systems... Unix rigs too, all 4 of them being character mode Os' & user interfaces.).

Did that make me dumb or stupid? Not really... just ignorant & inexperienced with a new & alien platform that was graphical compared to character mode input interfaces!

(Asking folks is how those folks learn (the smart thing to do, saves time in research or self-experimenting even))

Hey: I still have to do it, nearly everyday, to find out little 'idiosyncracies' of softwares if their description is vague or lacks descriptions on what platforms it works with etc. etc.

* smile

APK

No offense, but frankly, this type of technology is the future...and a large majority seem to be going in to it not knowing a damn thing...I don't need to say any more.

Secondly, an ISP with trained people that don't know the answers for my customers, means they are stupid as well...because they are TRAINED TO KNOW THIS.

I worked technical support for Gateway 2000 several years ago and there were numerous idiots everyday. The two that stick out in my mind are the one that asked me, "If I unplug the computer will I lose everything?" and the idiot that couldn't find the letter "S" key on his keyboard. Who knows what the hell he was looking at.

I wouldn't label most non computer illerate people stupid but I would label them...sluggish. There's no initiative on average for most people.

Take for instance my Dad. USCMC 20 years. He bought a 286-12mhz in 1990. DOS4.0, 256k vram, 1MB system ram, PCTools 9.0, 2400b modem, some DOS games and BBS Software.

He knew almost NOTHING about computers except what he picked up at work (he was an aircraft mechanic so he almost never used computers.). Well, when he bought the computer a friend from work came by and taught him how to use it. 1 day of teaching. After that my Dad just plugged away. He actually taught me some stuff. How to use pkzip,pctools,Dos, Dosshell, autoexec, config. Alot of the DOS stuff. He learned it because HE WANTED TO. He bought a product that required a mind to actually use and he met the challenge with flying colors. I quickly surpassed him of course because I had more to time to play around with it but watching him at my young age (10) gave me a perspective on the average (l)user that would help me when working with (l)users all the way up to today. smile

After years of this I think it sums up to:

No RTFM - Most (l)user problems can be solved by a simple RTFM. It's that simple. Unfortunately it seems they think the documentation may be too complex or they think the answer to their unique problem will not be there.

Panic - OMG! MY $3000 computer doesn't work and I know nothing about it because I didn't care in the first place and I didn't do the proper research!

Helpdesk - Helpdesk is there. It's there job. Instead of reading up or actually listening to them in the first place (classes, email) I'll just call 'em up all the time so that they can repeat to me what they already have thousands of times before! Helpdesk is so wonderful. Thinking is hard.

Heard another one today.

Guy plugs his phone line to the NIC (does not have amodem) and trys to connect to the internet.

Of course NIC was fried as soon as a call came in smile

Quote:

Heard another one today.
Guy plugs his phone line to the NIC (does not have amodem) and trys to connect to the internet.
Of course NIC was fried as soon as a call came in smile

smile I'm curious as to how he managed to fit an RJ11 plug into an RJ45 port.

it can be easily done, i've done it before, haha...just to see.

Some models can't, but other ones, especially old ones can fit the 11 plug, haha.

OK, here's one...happened a few years ago, still cracks me up when I think about it...

Get a call from a woman who complains that when she types stuff, the wrong things appear on the screen. I walk over to her desk, thinking that maybe the keyboard was dying, or it was using the wrong layout...

When I get there, I find that she was complaining that everything she typed appeared in upper case, and the only problem was that she had CAPS lock on...

AndyF

Well - heres one that may be hard to beleive - and I may be ridiculed , but here it goes...

Working at a tech support/high speed dealer/ service department for computers at a stationary store.

I was usually on the phone about 60% of the work day, the same with my colleagues. This lady calls in, she sounds old, she doesnt know what she's doing. Probably. So anyways she starts explaining to me that her mouse is hot. Hot to the touch. I hesitate for a second and say "Hot? What do you mean?" She explains how she just turned on the computer and her mouse is hot. I dont understand, she's obviously exaggerating the truth. So, I cover the mouthpeice on the phone and say to one of my co-workers "Hey - this old lady thinks her mouse is hot" (meanwhile thinking this is ridiculous) and he turns to me and says "Is it a Trekker?"

So - I entertain his question and ask her if it is a trekker. She says yes. She stops by later and we replace the mouse and I ask my co-worker how he knew that.

This is where it gets iffy. Apparently, Trekker has stated somewhere that the environment in central saskatchewan is not good for their mouses. I opened it up and sure enough it was starting to melt.

Now - I am still in a little disbelief about the whole thing, but there could be some truth to it, but I just boiled it down to crappy mouses.

...just thought it was an amusing anecdote.

Quote:

smile I'm curious as to how he managed to fit an RJ11 plug into an RJ45 port.

Not everyone in world uses RJ11 smile
In Turkey they use RJ something (same as states), same as the ones we plug in to the modem.
there is plenty of space left afterwards, I wonder why he hasn't tried to plug another one in.

Quote:

Well - heres one that may be hard to beleive - and I may be ridiculed , but here it goes...

Working at a tech support/high speed dealer/ service department for computers at a stationary store.

I was usually on the phone about 60% of the work day, the same with my colleagues. This lady calls in, she sounds old, she doesnt know what she's doing. Probably. So anyways she starts explaining to me that her mouse is hot. Hot to the touch. I hesitate for a second and say "Hot? What do you mean?" She explains how she just turned on the computer and her mouse is hot. I dont understand, she's obviously exaggerating the truth. So, I cover the mouthpeice on the phone and say to one of my co-workers "Hey - this old lady thinks her mouse is hot" (meanwhile thinking this is ridiculous) and he turns to me and says "Is it a Trekker?"

So - I entertain his question and ask her if it is a trekker. She says yes. She stops by later and we replace the mouse and I ask my co-worker how he knew that.

This is where it gets iffy. Apparently, Trekker has stated somewhere that the environment in central saskatchewan is not good for their mouses. I opened it up and sure enough it was starting to melt.

Now - I am still in a little disbelief about the whole thing, but there could be some truth to it, but I just boiled it down to crappy mouses.

...just thought it was an amusing anecdote.

How can a mouse melt? they get 5V's and what .1 mA's This prooves it bad engineering can create miracles.

Quote:
How can a mouse melt? they get 5V's and what .1 mA's This prooves it bad engineering can create miracles.

I know!!! Thats what I didnt understand. How does something start to melt when there is hardly any circuitry and any 'harmful' currents comming in?

You get a short circuit to ground and instantly all the current the port is capable of supplying (and possibly even more so) will be fed down the line which can easily explain what happened...

But that would most likely burn out the port. And the port isnt capable of supplying a huge amount of current anyways, as the transfer only read voltage levels, not currents. It only needs enough to supply the line with square waves. The sourcing current is only 20mA - 25mA (per pin) but a prolonged exposure may burn out the mouse's internal compnenets though, depending on their specs.

Well, given that the device is getting warm one can assume its travelling through a resistive path (although with less resistance that the surrounding mouse circuitry). Given that its not burning out the port we can also assume that that path is limiting the current to a safe level for the port. There is still a higher than normal current flow within the device.

Quote:

You get a short circuit to ground and instantly all the current the port is capable of supplying (and possibly even more so) will be fed down the line which can easily explain what happened...

Actually,
If you short whatever with the ground (virtual or real) it will be grounded smile

But hey, i saw a brand new asus board out of box, PCI2.1 is not running.
Don't ask me how since i have no idea. Modems or any basic PCI works nothing PCI2.1 though. (ie 3Com Nic, SB Audigy Platinum.)

Windows installs and runs just fine, only when installing drivers for any pci2.1 it comes up with the "The data is invalid"

Took me a while to figure this out. And Techs, still no clue laugh
Maybe i need better ones.