Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BladeRunner

Win2k SP3 Indefinitely Postponed

For all you eagerly awaiting SP3 for Win2k, I've just received my regular e-mail from Sunbelt Win2k News.

Here is what they have to say:

"The WinInformant site reported that MS has indefinitely delayed the third service pack for W2K according to internal documents they saw recently. SP3 was actually scheduled for release July 17, but they recently discovered several major bugs in the Microsoft Installer (MSI) 2.0 code, which MS had planned to bundle with the update. This will significantly delay the SP3 release. So it is back to manual patching, and the hotfixes are rolling off the assembly line at a regular clip. Personally I would suggest having another look at UpdateEXPERT which is a critical element in automating the security of your networks."

If anybody is interested, WinInformant article is here:

http://www.w2knews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=020715ED-WinInformant

Information on UpdateEXPERT is here:

http://www.w2knews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=020715ED-UpdateEXPERT

Yeah, I posted that over here as well (and I think Philipp got it a day earlier). Kind of a pi$$er eh?

D'oh, missed that it had already been posted smile

I'm suprised more than anything, SP3 was a good oportunity to really tidy up Win2k and even leave it if they want to move people over to XP.

I'm sure they will get around the problem.

Yeah, while I'm a big fan of WinXP Pro, I still like Win2K as well (especially for p2 400+ midrange PCs where you have to dull down WinXP to get the same feel as Win2K) and would really like to have a nicely slipstreamed CD for my Win2K installations.

Where can I get a SP3 RC? I'm about to check Edonkey and WinMX, but please post if there is a direct download site.