Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Goaks

Lock Ups

I have the 3.56 driver installed for my viper 770 Ultra, also aplied the DX7 patch. But after a few minutes of play my machine just locks up. Runs great until then, but can't seem to figure out what is causing the lockups. Anyone come accross this problem. I am runing build 2128 as well.

Yes, I have had similar lockups under Win2000 RC2 (2128). I have dual 366 Celerons @ 550MHz on the Epox KP6-BS motherboard with a Creative TNT2 Ultra. Win2000 would completely lock-up not long into starting games like Q3A or UT etc.

I kept tracing the problem... I thought perhaps the CPUs where overclocked too much, but the same hardware under Windows 98 and Windows NT4 SP6 works perfectly for days on end at 566MHz! Anyway I set them back to 366, no difference! The TNT2 Ultra is not the problem either as again under Win98/NT4 it is perect.

But I know it has something to do with CPU utilisation. I installed Quake 2, and using software rendering started a demo in a 640x480 window... everything ok with CPU usage at about 50-55%. Open another session of Quake 2 (software mode) in another 640x480 window, now CPU usage is up to about 95-100% - a few moments later Windows 2000 locks up.

Now under NT4 I have performed the exact same tests with the CPU use at 100% (three Quake 2's running at once using OpenGL 3D) and I have run the tests for over 8 hours straight with not one problem!

Anyone else have an idea?

I got the 3.55 drivers here: www.riva3d.com/files/Win2K355.zip and installed Rc3 and hav'nt had a blue screen while changing resolution or lockups while playing since. I'm not sure if their modified or not but they are more stable than the regular 3.55s. I remember hastily **** canning the 3.56 drivers when I was using Rc2 because when I could actualy get something running it would crash soon after. Does'nt proove much but it's food for thought. Gonna try the 3.64 and see what happens.

Please let us all know your results with the 'newer TNT' drivers.

Good Luck!

Doesn't matter if I am in OpenGl or Glide, games lock up after a few minutes of play.

;-(