Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
patrickd

norton ghost + win98 question

I have a task at hand of creating a master ghost image for about 30 computers, all with the same hardware. I know in Windows 2000/XP you can use Sysprep.exe to strip the uniqueness and force windows to rebuild its plug-n-play hardware database, but what utility will let me do this to a win98 install? Do I even need to?

TIA

all you have to do is before you make your ghost...just go into the device manager and remove all of the devices...that should force win-98 to update its plug and play...but as I see it though ..if they have the same mobo and hardware..then you should not need to do it....remove them and shut down ....do not reboot....then do your ghost if that is the way you have to do it...but if it is the same it should not matter...you should delete all *.scr files except one like the marquee...and delete the *.hlp files for the games...and also look in the folder Program Files/online providers and make sure that there is nothing in there...also use the disk cleanup program under the system tools....to remove any temp files....also you should remove all but a few of the *.bmp files....in the windows folder...to make sure that your Ghost will be a small and quick one to recover...

Hope this helps you...

I am a ghostaholic....On my main computer...I save all my stuff on a fat 32 partiotion...and have copies of the registry and the start menus for all my OS....So that I can switch from win98-xp and still have access to all my files...I usully make a ghost every 3 months...

and also have all of the OS as clean installs...and by savind a copy of the registry for all ...allows me to easily edit them...and then put a fresh...install then migrate the registry...and also have all my dll's in folders labeled win9x,win Me, NT, 2k, XP, and Emb(windows embeded).