Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Suzie

Problem exploring XP network computer from Win 98

I have 4 XP and one Win 98 PC on my network. I am able to explore all of the PC's from any XP PC. I can only explore 2 of the 4 XP PC's from the Win 98's. When I try and explore the 3rd XP PC I get a "Access Denied" error message and exploring the 4th I get:

"You must supply a password to make this connection."

"Resource \\Suzie2\IPC$"

"Password " When I enter the password to that PC I get a Password Incorrect error message.

All 4 XP PC's are clean installs by me and should all be setup the same way. Obviously something is different.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Suzie

Try new shares for PC 3 and PC 4 or enable guest account on the XP machines?

All XP Pc's have "Use simple file sharing" unchecked. I have not set up shares on any of the XP machines and 2 work fine.

I have tried enabling the Guest Account and that made no difference.

I tried to simplify things by having only one user account on each PC. That account is adminstrative with a user name Suzie and apassword 1.

Have you tried loging on as aministrator only on the XP machines and then tried exploring from 98 machine! Also have you enabled the Windows XP built in firewall on the network connections on the XP machines this can also cause problems!!!!

Did you allow 4 computers to access each other, because you took out the "Simple file sharing" You have to set how many computers you want to share you computer. by doing that you would right click on your shared DRIVES and click on SHARING then it should say like: allow up to 1 or 2 and more.