Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CyberGenX

Best Laptop to Buy?

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

I have been kicking around the idea of selling my machine (stats below) and getting a laptop instead. I wanted to know who makes the best laptops, (performance, stability and price). I looked at a dell machine that kicked *** for $2300 1.7GHz P4, 64MB GeForce 4, 8X DVD, 5400RPM 40GIG drive, 15" Ultra TFT mon, 256MB 266MHz DDR, etc. Help!!!

I dig Dell's, but the resounding vote that I hear from industry people is Toshiba. I think some of the Dell's kick some major a$$ though (at least the ones I've played with). Heck, you can even buy a laptop form alienware now laugh

I totally forgot about Toshiba, the sad thing is (being a computer tech) that is the laptop i see the most on the bench. Let Toshiba be Other category. I checked out alienware, a lil' pricey like all mobiles i guess. What do you think about replacing my desktop with a Bas @ss mobile though?

If I were to replace my desktop with a laptop - it would have to have some balls.

Dell Inspirion 8200 is ok, but I think that the

precision m50 looks like it would suffice for me (although a little expensive, you can customize it).

The toshiba tecra series is sweet.

I think I would grab the Dell, as their support might be a little better than toshibas (assumption - cant really talk from experience on either side)

The m50 is nice, as well as, the 8200. The tecra looks nice but has an extra $2000 or so of fluff it seems with no video worth mentioning!!! Yeah it's slim but I wouldn't care to lug it around if it couldn't out-power the others in all aspects (which it can't compared to the 8200 for the same price). Having a GeForce 4 is a must on this mobile!

I've always been a big fan of Toshiba from a work point of view.

In fact at every place I've worked before my current location I've always bought in Toshiba's.

Tend to be a little bit more expensive, however very reliable and good support.

However, at my current place of work I've been buying in Sony Vaio's and have been very impressed with them.

Nice specifications and I've only had one fail out of the 10 we currently have (that one was a rather catastrophic failure, logic board totally failed) but that went back to Sony and was turned around within a week.

Dell's always seem very high specification considering the price you pay for them, but as the only Dell's we have are a little bit old I cannot really comment on the current range.

I love Dell laptops, i would definatly swap my desktop machine for a decent laptop/docking station/TFT screen laugh

I would go with the Dell. They use for the most part standardized equipment in them and Windows detects almost all of the components. My Father has a Toshiba and after playing with it I still perfered my Dell more. ONe thing that I cannot explain about his Toshiba is that it seems to not hold a charge for a long time. He will put it away for a week and his batteries will drain sometimes to as much as 20% battery life. I think that he may have a bad battery but not quite sure. My Dell is very good on batteries. I get a good hour and a half of battery life before I start to look at what is left on them.

Another thing I like about Dell is that you can get it customized easier than any other laptop. I chose what I wanted and didnt get any BS software that the rest of the laptop companies throw in. My Dell was pretty straight and forward, the stuff you want and no fat included.

I've just bought 7 Toshiba Satellite 1800 units for work, pre-loaded with XP and they are great.

Have fun.

F

I would suggest IBM, Toshiba, Compaq in this order.

I sell all of them and reliable nice machines.

IBM is the best but pricey!

Dell is piece of Crap in my opinion. How can you have something portable for that price anyway. High end ones are a bit better but still from the same factory.

IBM.. nah

Toshiba, then Dell, Sony (Sony - over priced, but look good)

and compaq, i would not even touch!!

The mobile has got to have the Geforce 4 64MB. Has to have DDR memory, unless there is a rambus model. Gotta be under $2700.

Quote:

The mobile has got to have the Geforce 4 64MB. Has to have DDR memory, unless there is a rambus model. Gotta be under 00.

While you are at it, why don't you add a 5 KVU UPS, a 21" screen, DVD Ram, and built in 1200dpi colour laser printer/copier and demand it under USD$1000.

Let me know, i will buy one too.!:D

The dell that I saw has 40GIG, 64MB GeForce 4 GO, 512DDR, 2.0GIG P4, Ultra TFT, 8X DVD, NIC, MODEM, etc. for $2699

Quote:

The dell that I saw has 40GIG, 64MB GeForce 4 GO, 512DDR, 2.0GIG P4, Ultra TFT, 8X DVD, NIC, MODEM, etc. for 99

*Uykucu bows respectfully and apologizes sincerely*

But it is still a Dell, and i think video memory is shared so no 110fps quake etc.

Very good price though.

No the video is not shared. It is the best model for the price. No one else even offers GeForce 4 64MB DDR in a mobile, screw ATI. I gotta sell a lot of Boy Scout cookies to get that money though.

Quote:

No the video is not shared. It is the best model for the price. No one else even offers GeForce 4 64MB DDR in a mobile, screw ATI. I gotta sell a lot of Boy Scout cookies to get that money though.

The real question is do you really need that? Who is gonna use a GF4 on a notebook anyway. I haven't seen anybody playing games on a $3-4K notebook lately have you? t sure isn't good for photoshop etc either. and most users wouldn't care or notice what the GPU is.

And what is the battery life on that monster?

This is to replace my desktop. Bat life is 2.5 - 3.0 hours. This machine has to out do or out power what I have now, as it will be my main machine.

The only laptops worth gettings are trackpoint/pointer only like IBM and Toshiba. Touchpads are horrid, and so are external mice. Why not just have something that works without needing additional space? Another problem is amphibious laptops, that try to have both touchpads and pointers like Dell and it's annoying to use either. Why not have your hands resting peacefully in home row working a pointer like God, Alla, Bill G., or whomever intended? I know pointers seem hard to use at first, but once you get used to the fact that the harder you push the faster and further it goes you're set. It took me about 2 weeks to get reasonable at it, and about a month to get good with it. I've been using a trackpoint for 7 years and absolutely love them. Note I don't think toshiba makes a good trackpoint I know 2 people who have toshibas and stockpile the pointers, because they wear out.

-Christian

Quote:

This is to replace my desktop. Bat life is 2.5 - 3.0 hours. This machine has to out do or out power what I have now, as it will be my main machine.

Aaptop outperforming a Desktop, hard to imagine unless desktop is might old and retarded. You know even the Bus Structures on NB's are different then the Desktop. And looking at your desktop config, I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. It just is not possible so you can eat all your boyscout cookies yourself as a result smile

Quote:

...Who is gonna use a GF4 on a notebook anyway...
Serious LAN gamers, that's whom. Desktops are only recently becoming viable gaming platforms, explaining why people don't associate them for gaming. All that laptop using FPS LAN gamers need is their laptop, power cord, mouse and headphones which is much more portable then desktop systems and monitors.

Many others out there don't have laptops themselves because they didn't want to spend so much money on a computer that couldn't play their favorite games. Thing is, now they can play their favorite games on a laptop, and many will give laptop purchases more thought.

Quote:

Serious LAN gamers, that's whom. Desktops are only recently becoming viable gaming platforms, explaining why people don't associate them for gaming. All that laptop using FPS LAN gamers need is their laptop, power cord, mouse and headphones which is much more portable then desktop systems and monitors.

Many others out there don't have laptops themselves because they didn't want to spend so much money on a computer that couldn't play their favorite games. Thing is, now they can play their favorite games on a laptop, and many will give laptop purchases more thought.

Yes but not many of the 14-18 year old gae group is gonna be able to afford one, which i believ is the only group who has the time for it.

Quote:

Yes but not many of the 14-18 year old gae group is gonna be able to afford one, which i believ is the only group who has the time for it.
Of course. Like a person older than 18 could possibly have any use for a GeForce4 440 Go. How silly of me. How silly of nVIDIA to put out a product with no potential customers. How silly of Dell to offer the GPU in its top of the line laptop.

I am just trying to say about 90% or more of the Notebook sales will not be effected.

GPU is usually not the deciding factor. i know that since I sell them.

they ask me how heavy they are, CPU, Ram or does it have a TV out with DVD not the GPU.

Agreed. Most of the people don't get the top of the line GPU, be it laptop or desktop systems. However, I do know people who are now only becoming interested in laptops because of the fact that they can contend, graphically, with desktop systems. Not because that's all they care about, but because they figure if they're going to spend that kind of money, they should at least be able to enjoy some gaming. smile