Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
one_2_three

Necessary or Just a War?

Quote:

Admiral LSD, you live up to your name (druggy) to think I would do that...I won't be pulling that move, it'll take twice as long to do it that way, hehe.

I'll just let it download, i'm going out tonight, so when I come back, it'll be damn near done.

That would be the most effective way to do it if you're concerned about downloading only what you need since only the packages you select will be downloaded and installed. Of course, if you're only on a 56k then that presents a problem... You could always buy on of those books that supply a complete distro as well as a concise guide to Linux for about USD.

Quote:

I did that with an old laptop. I hosted the original binaries on my IIS FTP box, and ran the install on my LAN. It didn't take too long, or at least it wasn't long enough to really annoy me.

Yeah, but you were dealing with LAN speeds of 10Mbps+, performing this install over the internet would probably take forever...

[size:9]Actually, I've never even seen LSD let alone taken it. The name comes from a combination of my earliest Internet nick, "Lysergic Acid Diethylimide" (yes, I know it's spelt wrong... It's become sort of a historical thing :)) which for reasons I can't even begin to fathom was the first thing that popped into my head while trying to think up a screen name for Yahoo and my love of FreeSpace 2[/color]

Quote:

That would be the most effective way to do it if you're concerned about downloading only what you need since only the packages you select will be downloaded and installed. Of course, if you're only on a 56k then that presents a problem... You could always buy on of those books that supply a complete distro as well as a concise guide to Linux for about USD.

Yeah, but you were dealing with LAN speeds of 10Mbps+, performing this install over the internet would probably take forever...

[size:9]Actually, I've never even seen LSD let alone taken it. The name comes from a combination of my earliest Internet nick, "Lysergic Acid Diethylimide" (yes, I know it's spelt wrong... It's become sort of a historical thing :)) which for reasons I can't even begin to fathom was the first thing that popped into my head while trying to think up a screen name for Yahoo and my love of FreeSpace 2[/color]

I like stories laugh

Or you can just ask one of your friends at any university to burn it on a CD for you. Distro's exist on every single university mainframe in everysingle university i believe. Or they can be found with a little look around at least.

nah, I already topped out this server's max "allowed" speed of 49.99 Kbps, it won't go higher, haha

And i just found Visual Studio .Net Professional (all 5 CD's) on UKC Mainframe....

(I have a username and password and getting a friends files for her.)

lol, not sure you should be telling us that you are illegally downloading software.

Quote:

lol, not sure you should be telling us that you are illegally downloading software.

I a not downloading it, I moved Istanbul and hooked up with a 56K.
My calculater would probably give an error trying to calculate the time required and it has 64KB memory smile
If i wanted illegal SW, i can buy it on the street opposite University's for about 2 million TL per CD. That makes roughly £1 or $1.50.

Also I just paid $950 for it a week ago. So don't need it anyway...;)

Quote:

And i just found Visual Studio .Net Professional (all 5 CD's) on UKC Mainframe....
(I have a username and password and getting a friends files for her.)

Visual Studio.NET is so awsome upgraded from VS 6 about a month or 2 ago and it has just been great

Quote:

Visual Studio.NET is so awsome upgraded from VS 6 about a month or 2 ago and it has just been great

I agree its certainly a worthwile upgrade for once. Anyone tried the free J# addon yet? I quite liked the J++ IDE although a non sun standard implementation of Java which caused a few problems but easily fixed.

Talking of Java, does anyone happen to know where I can get hold of a copy of the MS v. of the Java wotsit for IE, so that I don't have to use the Sun 1? I used to get it from Windows update, but it's not listed there anymore. frown

The JavaVM from MS? Whenever I do a fresh install of XP, I see it there all the time. Maybe yours is up to date for the moment.

It disappears from time to time on Windows update. Try using the search feature at Microsoft at look for the Java webpage.

Hmmmm...I don't remember seeing it on Windows Update when I last reinstalled, but maybe I've just forgotten. I did a search over @ MS & it just said that it wasn't hosted there anymore & to check Windows Update! frown

If I did did get it from WU last time, then is it possible that the Sun v. that comes with Netscape could have over-ridden it? I used to use Netscape for certain webpages that are stupid enough to use fixed-sized fonts which has the result that IE's View->Text Size setting doesn't have any affect on them, but have now found a way around this in IE so don't need to use Nutscrape anymore. smile

Talking of which, does anyone know where the setting for ignoring the font size specified in a web page is kept in the registry? I know that it's available via a checkbox under Tools -> Options -> Accessibility, but it's a bit of a pain having to do that every time. I was thinking that if I could find out where the setting was actually stored I could have a go @ trying to write a little prog that would check the state of the variable & change it to the opposite, then use Xteq Xsetup to put a button for it on IE's toolbar.

Quote:

Talking of Java, does anyone happen to know where I can get hold of a copy of the MS v. of the Java wotsit for IE, so that I don't have to use the Sun 1? I used to get it from Windows update, but it's not listed there anymore. frown

Enable install on demand in IE and then visit a website you know has a java component. You should be prompted to download it automatically. Thats how I've always gotten it in the past with XP.

Quote:
If I did did get it from WU last time, then is it possible that the Sun v. that comes with Netscape could have over-ridden it? I used to use Netscape for certain webpages that are stupid enough to use fixed-sized fonts which has the result that IE's View->Text Size setting doesn't have any affect on them, but have now found a way around this in IE so don't need to use Nutscrape anymore. smile

That certainly is possible, at least with version 1.4 of the Sun plugin. It has an option during the install as to which browsers you want it to integrate it with, either IE or Netscape 6. Given that I don't have NS6 (I have Mozilla instead), use M$' JVM for IE and am only installing the plugin to enable Operas Java support I leave them both unchecked.

I always find these posts when they have totaly changed the subject and what not. Stay on subject boys!

Here's my attempt or a story for those of you who like stories.

My mom had a old gateway we got when I was a freshman in high school (about 6 years ago or more) and it was hitting it's last end. So she said I got 200 bucks to spend on a computer what can ya do for me. She only plays solitare,MS office, uses Hallmark card maker and listens to music. My choice, an althon 1 gig with 256mb of crucial ram and a mobo with onboard - nic, modem, sound and display. With the little she does with that computer it will last her another 6 years. She didn't even let me reformat the hard drive because likes windows 95 sooo much (yes it actually runs smoothly, fast and has no problems). 200 bucks will last her 4 to 6 years. Thats all there is to this story.

manifest

heh. Hope that computer doesn't run 24/7 because I according to the # of years you've listed I really don't think that HD will last that long.

Quote:

Enable install on demand in IE and then visit a website you know has a java component. You should be prompted to download it automatically. Thats how I've always gotten it in the past with XP.
Thanks, I'll bear that in mind in future...
Quote:
That certainly is possible, at least with version 1.4 of the Sun plugin. It has an option during the install as to which browsers you want it to integrate it with, either IE or Netscape 6. Given that I don't have NS6 (I have Mozilla instead), use M$' JVM for IE and am only installing the plugin to enable Operas Java support I leave them both unchecked.
Your saying this gave me an idea - I went into Add/Remove Programs & just uninstalled the version that was installed with Netscape, then tried a site with Java on it in IE - worked the way it should do! laugh

Now if only I knew where in the registry that other setting for IE was kept....

I wanted to get her a new hd but she said she didn't need one and we all know Mommy knows best!

Quote:

I was trying to install it today, had the installer script error. did not have time to troubleshoot.
i think it is the MSI 2.0 is needed.

It comes with it, so I would be surprised if that was the problem.

Quote:

It comes with it, so I would be surprised if that was the problem.

Yes but you forgot to ask, how much time did you spend on it, which the reply would be 5-6 min's.

I will check it out tomorrow. There has not yet been a MS program of this caliber which did not install, so i am sure it is something with my config or whatever.

Quote:

only 72 replies, come on people.

How many you are after???
we have started with necessary or not HW confogs and ended up with Visual Studio.net after having a small win-lin skirmish.
Most threads don't get more than 5 replies...

Be Grateful! laugh