Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JimmyK

OLD SCHOOL member here, quick quetsion bout sound cards and

Hey fellas title says it all, Iv been away from my favorite forum for ages, but last time I was here the best sound card for 2k was the SB-PCI-128

they had the LIVE! out but none of the features worked ( b/c of bad drivers) so it was worthelss, now there is so much new sound hardware out, whats the best and that works flawless with win2k? thx fellas!

Live! drivers seem alot better now but ive got a CL Audigy and have had 0 problems so far smile Under XP or 2000.

Game Theatre XP (GTXP)

Works brilliant with my setup which is a bonus as its a dual system. I could never get my live to work properly in my dual. Horrible screeching etc.

You also get a nice desk mounted I/O box with the GTXP.

I can't fault it.

Awsome!!! Thats great to hear, Actually when I was exiting my total nerd phase the GTXP was just on the horizon, but I heard people that were using the GTXP were also having huge problems using the EAX3D with duallie systems which is what I got.

so you guys are both saying that the audigy and GTXP work flawlessly with win2k and many if not all the features are present and working??

if it makes a diff I got a VP6 with dual gigahertz that I got a year and half ago, so Im guessing its going to be 1st revision vp6. heck Im not sure how these things work now-a-days do they even have diff revision mobos out there?

all input appreciated

I have owned the Santa Cruz, GTXP,LIVE and Audigy. Audigy best sounding card hands down

Never had a problem with SB Live in Win2K or XP. I must've gotten mine after they worked out any driver issues.

Why do so many ppl like the Game Theatre? Ive heard it and it wasnt anywhere near the audigy in quality frown (My opinion :))

Live works fine under 2K and XP, it just did not work full capacity b4 new drivers which came out about 2-3 months ago if i am correct.

Same applies for audigy. Game theatre, never used it, If you want connections in the front, get a platinum live or audigy. They come with live Drive.

The only major problem I ever had with my Live! under Win2k was (very) occasional IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL_TO BSoDs when going to start a game that use EAX. I'm assuming it was caused by the fact that 2k ACPI assigned all my devices, including the Live, the same IRQ and nothing I tried to change that appeared to work. I never got to the bottom of it since it happened so infrequently it wasn't too annoying. Anyway, I'm on XP now and the problems gone so I really don't give a toss.

My Live! Value never gave me any problems under Win2k - I hear that 90%+ of Live & Win2k problems appeared under VIA chipsets.

Upgraded to an Audigy, only because we needed a new soundcard for work and that could happily have the Live! whilst I had the nice new Audigy at home.

Once again flawelss under both Win2k & WinXP.

Went from Live! to Game Theater to Audigy. The Audigy is better than the Game Theater but I upgraded so long ago I really cannot remember why....

I´m definately going for the onboard sound of my new Abit NV7-133R. Has true 5.1 support and a S/PDIF out. That connected to the S/PDIF in of the Creative Inspire 5.1 Digital 5700 decoder should provide superb sound and costs one PCI slot less wink

could these soudncards get any better? i mean i don't want to buy an Audigy and end up having NOT THE LATEST ONE!!! smile is there anything under development? anything different?

There are some cards, like Terratec (I think) DMX Fire that supposedly spanks the Audigy. But for most points and purposes, the Audigy is probably one of the best you can buy. I don't know how the nForce 2 sound will be, but I'm hoping nVidia adds more options in the future, as they lack an EQ currently.:( But that's really my only complaint about them.