Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GAEILL

Display of contents on a CD

I know this is a simple probably often asked question but I've found nothing recently while searching on it and would ask for help.

Whenever I insert a CD with data files into my CDRW I experience a pause and then am presented with a screen showing a listing of all files found on the disk.I do not wish to view the list of files and am asking what I need to do to turn this feature off. Basic and straightforward.

Thanks in advance

Sounds like you have switched the autoplay feature off. Several tweak programs (like TweakUI) allows you to adjust this, and it could be that you have to use the same one you used originally (inadvertedly perhaps) to switch it off with.

Right-click on the drive icon for your CD, go to Properties, then to the autoplay tab. There you can adjust the autoplay for different kind of CD's.

H.

Actually, the way I understand it is that AutoPlay is "On" and he wants it "Off". I can't say I disagree with that since IMO AutoPlay is the most annoying feature M$ have ever burdened Windows with and is the first feature I disable after installing Windows myself.

Unfortunately, under Windows NT M$ have made flat out disabling AutoRun much more difficult than under Win9x. The AutoPlay settings in Windows XP don't disable AutoRun entirely, data CDs containing an autorun.inf file will still autorun, all they do is disable the content specific "enhancements" M$ made to AutoRun in XP (making an already annoying feature even more annoying). Disabling Autorun entirely requires a registry edit.

The AutoRun key is located at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoDriveTypeAutoRun. It's binary weighted but the correct code for disabling it is B5 00 00 00. Just right click the value, select "Modify Binary Data" and change whatever's there to the above. It requires Admin priveliges to edit so if the account you use doesn't have Admin priveliges temporarily promote it through the Computer Management console.

I think a Google search was what told me where to find the key. Either that or Xteq X-Setup AutoRun plugin, I really can't remember...

Under NT4 it was printed in the M$ release notes either for the OS itself or one of the Service Packs...

An any event, I turned autoplay off but am still getting a window listing the contents of the CD. It's pesky and annoying especially when I'm trying to burn data files with Nero. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Where did you turn AutoPlay off? Through the CD Drive properties or through the registry? Turning it off in the registry, either by hand or by using a program like Xteq X-Setup, is the only way to disable it completely.

Went straight to the registry and now all is well. Thanks for your patience. Now hopefully with the new service pack coming, WinXP Pro will become less of a resource hog. Even though I've tweaked XP to within an inch of it's life for performance, I find programs demanding too much CPU time and memory- The same apps that run on Win 2K flawlessly demanding little resources. Ah but that's another thread

Start->Run

type gpedit.msc and go to administrative Template->System. Under this there is an option: Turn off Autoplay. Double-click on that and select the enable button and hit apply.

Quote:

Went straight to the registry and now all is well. Thanks for your patience. Now hopefully with the new service pack coming, WinXP Pro will become less of a resource hog. Even though I've tweaked XP to within an inch of it's life for performance, I find programs demanding too much CPU time and memory- The same apps that run on Win 2K flawlessly demanding little resources. Ah but that's another thread

Maybe I'm running the wrong programs but prior to my installation of mySQL, IIS and later, Apache I was running at roughly the same figures for memory use under XP as I was under 2k.