Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dirty Harry

Really weird internet/LAN problem - Help needed

Since you've removed the router from the picture, this isn't going to help, but I work for a membership association and have had reports of website blocking from all over the country.

I've asked each person if they have a cable modem - answer yes. Then I ask if they have a router - answer yes. I tell them to reset the router and try again, and every time it's worked for them. We have about 17 different websites, and they were unable to get to ANY of them with the URL or the IP - but once they reset the router, everything was fine. (different brands of routers, btw) I've been searching for an answer for quite sometime, and the only answer I can come up with is that if the website is trying to open too many connections - the router will block it. However, I have nothing except one popup window that I can figure out is trying to open connections. No JAVA, some java script that is client-side, setting one cookie (no call back required) - no database connection opening, etc.

Cable tells me to call the router people, the router people tell me to call the cable company.....you know how it goes.

Thanks for posting your solution, but this discussion was from about 2 years ago.

Likely the cause of your problem was some cached DNS entries.