Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mj2001

Sharing Internet Within a 2k Domain

Hi,

For a project, I am to install a windows 2000 domain. The problem I have and have found very little documentation on so far, is that I am unable to access the internet via any client pcs as it seems they cannot resolve the web addresses.

I have a 2k server OS pc connected via a DSL USB modem to the net, 8 port Netgear hub and a network card for each of my pcs which run Win2k.

If anyone could guide me through this, in laymans terms, I would be very grateful.

Is network connectivity other than Internet working fine?

Do all pc's get an IP with no problem?

Are you using ICS or NAT?

Which DNS server are the clients using, yours or the ISP's?

I haven't used USB modems before, does windows treat it the same as a NIC? Do you get the same options as you would with a regular network adapter?

Are you using active directory? I read many threads within various forums regarding ICS using active directory. Many people have a problem with DNS forwarding after installing AD. Try having a client PC ping an external site by IP. If that works, then you will want to look at your DNS setup. I also am assuming you can get your client PC's to connect to the server, and the server can get to the internet.

-Ry

Not that I know of. Don't fear AD, once you learn it, it is so much easier to deal with.

Quote:

Can someone run a 2000 domain without running AD? If so I would like to know how.....confused

Sorry dude you can't run a "pure" win2k domain without AD, You can ad 2kservers into an NT domain without AD, but I don't think thats what you're looking for.

Active Directory is actually really good IMO.

Guy who posted the original message - Built in ICS essentially becomes useless after you run AD. Set up your connection using RRAS under admin tools.

Technet has all you need to ge started.

I am glad the 2K domain w/o AD question was asked. That is what I was going to ask also. I have a small NT home domain and would love to go to 2000 but I can not because of AD and ICS. I only have modem connection (can not get broadband). Everybody says that AD is great but I do not. It keeps people like me with a small setup from setting up a small working domain to learn.

AD is great and can be setup just fine with one server if need be. Why do you not care for it?