Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

Best Anti-virus for XP?

Quote:

Clutch, i have just realized something about you,
if someone doesnt share your opinion, they are a "fanatic"
or a (whatever they are talking about)loony.
Whats up with that crap?

Funny, I thought the same thing about you. However, have you noticed that I only ask for facts to back up what someone is saying. Bladerunner did as such just recently, but after a couple of minutes of searching on the same site it appears that Symantec isn't that much better. So, what's up with this "crap" you ask? It's actually quite simple; put up or shut up. Bladerunner already stated in another post that he would rush in to back up a good product against false or exaggerated accusations, and I am doing the same thing here. Bladerunner and I actually see eye-to-eye on many things, it just so happens that Symantec isn't one of them. However, I have asked you to back up your claims in the past, and yet you haven't. So it seems that you are coming into this thread to "troll" a bit. Is this the case?

I am amazed at all the prople that use Norton.

You would think that it is the only anti-virus program out there!

Has anyone tried System Suite from Ontrack? Their virus program comes from Trendmicro and the updates are free!!

The program is much smaller that Norton,

It doesn't load at startup either at the dos stage or at the windows stage unless you want it to, unlike Norton,

It doesn't have all the side effects like Norton, less interference with other programs. Everytime I see troubleshooting tips on program installations, Norton Antivirus is at the top of the list causing problems!

I find Norton overated and bloated. I do have Norton Utilities but rarely run it. I find System Suite V4 from Ontrack far better especially the defrag program. The software is much smaller also.

By the way, Ontrack is one of the larger data recovery services if you haven't heard of them.

The program is much smaller that Norton

Old saying, but size really doesn't matter.

The installation size of Symantec is not important, everybody has got more than enough hard drive space.

As for memory useage Nprotect is using 3.7MB and this is full protection, not exactly a lot is it?

It doesn't load at startup either at the dos stage or at the windows stage unless you want it to, unlike Norton

And this is good?

You do know viruses don't wait until your virus checker is running before they attempt to infect your system?

A system that can be switched off is certainly no good what so ever for the corporate community, we administrators do not want users stopping the virus scanner from running.

Some viruses don't deliver their payload until the first reboot after the infection, unless that software is running as soon as Windows does then it's too late, payload delivered.

Your system can be infected as you simply browse a few web sites, so an AV product that doesn't run at start up and run all the time is a waste of time.

It doesn't have all the side effects like Norton, less interference with other programs

I am yet to see Symantec AV interfere with any program it is not supposed to.

It scans files as they appear in IE's cache, it scans every e-mailas it arrives into my inbox and scans them as I send mails too.

Every .exe file is quickly scanned before it is run causing no slow down at all as it does this so quickly.

I've never had to close AV down to install a program/game, play a game, run an application.

It just sits there running all the time, please define "interference" & "Side Efects".

I find Norton overated and bloated

My whole \program files\norton antivirus folder is 13MB in size, now if that is bloated......lets be honest, it isn't really is it?

I do have Norton Utilities but rarely run it

Nothing to do with AV, we are talking about either Symantec AV Corporate Edition or Norton Antivirus 2002, both of which are stand alone packages.

By the way, Ontrack is one of the larger data recovery services if you haven't heard of them

Of course I've heard of them, maybe they should stick to what they do really well and that would be data recovery.

Once again, before the shouts of "fanboy" and the like are thrown, I am defending the product I know and trust from a series of arguments I don't feel are true.

Quote:

By the way, Ontrack is one of the larger data recovery services if you haven't heard of them

Of course I've heard of them, maybe they should stick to what they do really well and that would be data recovery.

Does this mean that you don't care for OnTrack's AV software, fanboy? wink I haven't used it, and while I have heard of them I haven't had a need for their software/services. Are their any other AV products that you would run (provided the Symantec's HQ was blown up by my deathray...err, some "accident" happened)?

Signing off from my base modeled after the Cobra Terrordome,

clutch

McAfee VirusScan 6.0 because of its ease of use and automatic updates. Also includes firewall with automatic updates.

Mabye everyone should edit their posts and add either Norton Corp or Mcaffe Corp to the bottom......

Last post was three years ago,what you all think now.Mine is due for renewal

Last post was three years ago,what you all think now.Mine is due for renewal

Kaspersky is the best for detection.

Symantec second.

Haven't used Symantec 10 but I doubt the interface has changed much. Kaspersky is probably superior interface wise.

I'm referring to the corporate ver of Symantec of course.

Originally posted by dosfreak:

Quote:
Kaspersky is the best for detection.

Symantec second.

Haven't used Symantec 10 but I doubt the interface has changed much. Kaspersky is probably superior interface wise.

I'm referring to the corporate ver of Symantec of course.

Yeah, it Kasp got first place again this year.

I'm running CA right now, cause it comes free with my Rogers.com account, and why pass up a freebie with anti-spyware\anti-spam\email virus protection. Also comes with a popup blocker.

I have a prob with Kaspersky, I got the trial version, it worked very well, no complaints, UNTIL I tried to uninstall it. It gives you the option to leave "strings" attached to files in case you decide to use Kaspersky again, I chose not to when I uninstalled, I figure I'll stick with my free CA.

Bad move, after uninstalling, I lost my video, no matter what I did, I could not get better than 640X480, and no hardware. I reinstalled drivers, then cleaned drivers and reinstalled, nothing.

Reinstalled Kaspersky, all was back to normal, surprise surprise.

;(

So, I uninstall with the "strings" attached. Hey, I have video when I reboot! I also now have two of freaking EVERYTHING!!! ;( ;( ;(

Kaspersky sucks if you ask me, it's as bad as Norton used to be, once you get rid of it, like Herpes, it just keeps coming back. Here's an example, the Control Panel is one of the most interesting areas, all the other folders have a (2) after the names, but not here. I'm alomost through Half Life, as soon as I am, it's time to format. Thanks Kaspersky, you suck. ;(

dbbl.jpg

Wow. That's really weird. I'll have to load up Vmware with my different OS installs and test installation/uninstallation of Kaspersky. So far I haven't had any trouble with it....but I don't remember the last time I ever uninstalled it.

It's the weirdest thing I've ever had happen with an uninstall. Yeah, Norton meant cleaning the registry, but never a prob like this.

My desktop ended up with double everything too, but I was able to get rid of them. All my start menu items now have doubles. I've tried deleting them, but they're back on the next boot up.

I cleaned out the registry, but I may have missed something that has to do with Kaspersky, it's gotta be buried deep. ;(

With the control panel, I can't delete the doubles, they stay, there's no way around them. Restore points do nothing.

At least all my shortcuts on the desktop haven't had the double shortcuts come back. This has happened in every folder on my HDD. Haven't tried a repair install yet, man I don't want to do anything to mess up my HL game, I played this years ago on a Voodoo 3000, now that I can actually play, WITHOUT "God Mode", I really want to beat it. laugh

Alas, I must raise the flag to Kaspersky......

bsflag.gif

My personal fav anti-virus is AVK from GDATA Software. It uses both Kaspersky's engine and BitDefenders Engine and the interface is a breeze to use.