Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Alien

NTFS without the BS

Is there anyway to disable all of the security BS in NTFS? I realise that it has its uses for some people, but I just want to use it on a spare HDD for its larger-than-4GB file limit feature.

I fornatted the drive as NTFS, & it promptly created a System Volume Information folder. So I went to the settings for System Restore & disabled it for that drive & tried to delete it, but it wouldn't let me.

There's only me that uses this machine, & it's just the 1 renamed Administrator-level account.

Also, I tried copying a small file over to the drive, to see if it would let me delete that - it did, but then it created a folder called Recycler - not Recycled. It didn't have the normal Recycle Bin icon, just a normal folder icon, & it's right-click context menu doesn't have an Empty option. WTF??? confused

Recycler IS the recycle bin directory for NTFS partitions.

You can not right-click and choose Empty on that folder. You must go within the folder and then right-click on the subfolders...or simply delete all of the subfolders.

Check out www.xteq.com and download X-setup 6.2. It includes options for disabling NTFS features. Why is security so much of a concern for you? As long as you assign permissions there is no trouble whatsoever and if your part of the admin group you don't even need to do that.

Quote:

Recycler IS the recycle bin directory for NTFS partitions.

You can not right-click and choose Empty on that folder. You must go within the folder and then right-click on the subfolders...or simply delete all of the subfolders.
You'd think that with this latest incarnation of NT that's supposed to bridge the gap between home & work environments that they'd make NTFS a bit more user-friendly, so that ppl used to doing simple things like using the recycle bin don't have to change their way of doing things.
Quote:
Check out www.xteq.com and download X-setup 6.2. It includes options for disabling NTFS features.
Cool, I I didn't realise 6.2 had gone final.
Quote:
Why is security so much of a concern for you? As long as you assign permissions there is no trouble whatsoever and if your part of the admin group you don't even need to do that.
I don't mind having security if I have a need for it, but in this instance I don't. I'm the only person with access to this machine, & it's just gonna be used for video files. Also, & I realise this sounds trivial, but HTF do I delete the System Volume Information folder? I've turned off monitoring for that drive, & I tried turning its Read Only attribute off, but when I look @ its properties again it's on again. I understand how with the C:\windows & C:\Program FIles folders, etc, that there is stuff that's protected, but if i can delete the SVI folder on my FAT32 partitions that aren't being monitored, why can't I do it on my NTFS drive? Don't tell me that's another feature of NTFS as well???

Quote:

Is there anyway to disable all of the security BS in NTFS?

Get XP Home Edition

Also, I don't think you can delete the System Volume Information folder. I don't know where people got this idea that it's part of System Restore since I noticed it on my 2k NTFS drives and System Restore wasn't even a part of Win2k. I'm thinking it's where the journal for the filesystem is stored but I can't really be sure of that.

The system restore points are stored in a subdirectory that folder. Also to access the folder, you need to give yourself permission to the folder as on SYSTEM has access by default.

Quote:

The system restore points are stored in a subdirectory that folder. Also to access the folder, you need to give yourself permission to the folder as on SYSTEM has access by default.
I tried that, but it didn't seem to make any difference. Anyway, as it is only a few KB in size I may as well leave it.

Quote:

I tried that, but it didn't seem to make any difference. Anyway, as it is only a few KB in size I may as well leave it.

That'd probably be the best thing to do. There's obviously a reason (no matter how convoluted, we are talking about M$ here ;)) as to why they've taken such extreme measures to protect it even if we don't really understand what it is (If it does what I think it does, that is, hold the journal for the NTFS5 filesystem, then removing it is not a good idea).

Journal? confused

29th June 2002

Dear diary, today my user deleted some files & defragged me, today was a good day. smile

laugh

Quote:

Journal? confused

29th June 2002

Dear diary, today my user deleted some files & defragged me, today was a good day. smile

laugh

Actually, thats quite an apt description. A journaling filesystem works by logging all filesystem activity to a central location or journal. Then, in the event of a forced unmount (such as a power failure) the filesystem can follow the journal and know exactly where data errors are likely to be thus avoiding the necessity of a complete disk check.