Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ihor

Radeon & XP Professional

I installed the Radeon 7500 video card on my IBM Aptiva running XP Professional under NTFS.I was very pleased with the overall performance of the card and would endorse it for any system!

My adventure began with the decision to perform my semi-annual reformat.I set the Bios to boot from the CD, inserted the XP disc and rebooted.Everything was fine until the message "loading windows" appeared.At this point the monitor immediatly shut down.I tried again 5 more times with the same result each time.After seeking advice I decided to reinstall my old 8 Meg video card and try again. This time everything went perfectly to completion. I then reinstalled the Radeon and everthing is back to normal.

Conclusion: There is a software or hardware issue between the ATI chip and XP installation.Why?mad

It really is hard to say. If your copy of XP predated the Radeon 7500, and the system read it as an ATI card, letting it think that it was, for example a Rage, and attempted to use those drivers, the card may have balked, and the thing shut down. Or it may be that the Radeon 7500 may not have reacted properly to the generic VGA driver. It was good that you had a standby card.

How long did you wait while you were having the blank screen?

May be it whould have gone to be normal after 15 sec. or so.

During that part of the install go make yourself a cup of coffee or something, & by the time you've finished it the install should be going again. If after about 10 mins it's still doing nothing & there's no HDD activity, then just hit reset & [if it asks] tell it to resume the install.

Does it have an Svideo or a DVI output?

If it does im guessing its defaulting to that.

I run an 8500 with 2 monitors, but sometimes when I plug in s video cable, it sets that as the default.

Uninstall drivers in safe mode (Hit f8 on bootup), remove the s cable, re-install.

EDIT

Well ... I missed that 'install' word up there....kinda key, I dont think my statement has as much validity anymore laugh

I could get the 8500 to install fine with XP, and I have done XP and 2k installs with a 7500 with no problems. But the best advice might be to wait for a few.

/EDIT

EDIT x 2

If it does have dual display - make sure that you dont plug into the DVI slot, as it shows all the boot information, then when windows starts install or boot (after the starting windows screen) it goes blank. If not - wait for a few laugh (try it anyways)

/EDIT x 2

Thanx CrazyKillerMan! You were right. I unplugged the S-video cable and the XP installation proceeded normally. I'll remember this for the future.:D

I used to have an old Rage 128 PRO that would lockup the Windows 2000 install. I then used to install my old 2 MEG PCI video card, install Windows 2000 and then place my card back in and all would be fine. This issue may still effect Windows XP (being close to Windows 2000 and all) and newer ATI cards as well. However, I recently got an ATI Radeon 8500 LE and was able to install both XP and 2000 without a hitch. Ask ATI tech support to see if this issue affects Radeon cards too.

Quote:
Ask ATI tech support to see if this issue affects Radeon cards too.

Ok - but he fixed the problem so why is he contacting tech support again? laugh

LOL, yeah even though the card works fine now and installs fine by removing the S-video, it could still be a problem later. ATI told me to RMA my Rage 128 Pro and get it fixed. But by then I bought a Hercules 3D Prophet 2MX cuz I hated the frame rates on that Rage 128 Pro.

Quote:
I hated the frame rates on that Rage 128 Pro

So do I

And boy o boy would I laugh if he removed s-vid cable then it locked up a few seconds after where he got before.

LOL
LOL
LOL