Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jedi Master

Nvidia Drivers and WinXP - ?

I'm considering upgrading the video card in my system to one of the GeForce 4 (probably the 4200) cards.

Are there any driver related issues with WinXP (or other off the shelf applic's) and Nvidia?

Inherently no. But from the experience of some, all kinds. A lot of it depends upon your motherboard and how many other gadgets you have installed and the mysterious but ubiquitous VIA drivers on some AMD setups. On the other hand, just make sure that before installing the new card, if you are using another Nvidia card, change the video drivers to Standard VGA and uninstall the old Nvidia software first. Then, power down and put in your new card.

i would recommend you use OEM drivers too with your video card.. could boost performance

But all they do is use the reference drivers and change the logos confused

I use the reference drivers since they are almost always updated faster than the vendor (and even moreso if you are using the betas).

I find a driver that is fast and stable for me and then go from there. Might take a little bit of time to find out which ones best suit ya, but it's worth it. However, I'd also recommend that you get the reference drivers unless there is some utility the particular company dropped in the drivers that you must have.

i ran into the VIA agp4x problem and it seems the only way i got my card to run at 4x was to use my vendor(ASUS) drivers (29.42). and like mr frank was sayin' sometimes the vendor drivers come with xtras you just can't live without.

Just installed the Ref 30.30 drivers with XP Pro (all updates in place) and overclocked the GF4-420 to 315MHz (added a fan to the GPU). Everything still works wonderfully, plus the 30.30 drivers add even more speed than the 29.xx series did.

As to the OEM v REF thing. Nobody seems to add their own stuff to the cards. Use Ref drivers first, any problems look at the OEM drivers. - Note: all creative nVidia based products just have rebadged drivers.

Quote:

Disable the nvidia driver help service after you install the drivers.

Any particular reason? I'm pretty sure it's still enabled here with no ill effects...

I had the 30.30s installed for a while but uninstalled them after I realised my old kernel memory issues (not seen since the crap 21.8x drivers) had returned.

The helper service used to crash on some system configurations, and once disabled they would work perfectly fine again. I had that happen once with an older set of dets a long while ago, but I haven't had a need to in at least a year or so.

I have had issues with the driver service since the 29.42 series so it is pretty recent.

Nonetheless disalbing them means less useless

**** running

I've had a pain getting mine working. I'm running win XP pro, on an abit KT7A-RAID, with a AMD T-bird 1.2 GHz. I've got a Geforce4 MX440 SE... PCI interface... yeh, yeh, PCI graphics cards suck.. but I got it for free (My dad has an old 500 MHz prebuilt with onboard video, he has no aGP interface, so he got this card... except it didn't work for him, so now it's MINE!). Anyways, I get a crapload of ugly wierd colors flying across my screen in some games. It's like a part of the wall in GTA 3 just decides to stick out into the middle of the street. Or, in Unreal Tournament 2003, wierd colored specks just appear on the walls. I've tried a dozen different builds of Nvidia's Forceware drivers, including the newest leaked one (62.20), the newest omega drivers, the drivers that came standard on the CD (a really old forceware), windows XP default drivers, the upgraded windows XP drivers from windows update, and I even tried NVHardpage program to edit some crap with it. I think it's something to do with the opengl function. I've read that this has happened to a few other people, althout they've had the AGP interface.

Hey Guys!!!

I just got a second hand Geforce 4TI4600 Video card today. I have a PowerColor Radeon 9200 SE installed on XP SP2. Do you think i'll have to reinstall windows in order for the system to be stable?

I know this is a totally different issue, but i appreciate any comments.

Thanks

Originally posted by ALI:

Quote:

I just got a second hand Geforce 4TI4600 Video card today. I have a PowerColor Radeon 9200 SE installed on XP SP2. Do you think i'll have to reinstall windows in order for the system to be stable?

Hi again, well apearently ATI's Uninstall Utility did a pretty good job in wiping the ATI drivers, and i have the Nvidia card in there now. sofar there are no problems.