Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dazz1973

ERD Disk and Last Known Good Configuration Question

ERD QUESTION:

You were able in Win2k to create an Emergency Repair Disk by right clicking on C drive, Properties, Tools tab, Backup. However, in WinXP you just seem to be able to back your data up under this procedure, either via the wizard or the advance mode.

Can you create an ERD with WinXP? If not, what is the next best option?

I'm using NTFS partitions on all my HDs now and so a DOS boot disk is useless and I've been unable to find a copy of NTFSPro Boot Disk. I'm not sure if NTFSPro Boot Disk is share ware or not.

LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION

I've had to use safe mode for WinXP, but when I tried to restore to 'Last Known Good Configuration', the system said there was no save point. This was shortly after I installed WinXP, when I was still loading on all my apps. Can I set a 'last known good configuration point' or is XP suppose to do this automatically.

Also, if I restore to last known good configuration, does this just address drivers i.e. I expect I wouldn't lose new word documents, excel spreadsheets etc., created after the 'last known good configuration point.'

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Dazz

Ask and ye shall receive wink

Here's a step-by-step on how to run the Emergency Recovery Wizard under XP.

1) Right-Mouse click on your system/boot drive, generally the C: drive and select Properties.

2) Then click on the Tools tab at the top of the dialog box.

3) Click on the Backup now button near the bottom of this dialog box.

4) The Backup or Restore Wizard now starts, look for the line in the middle where you can click the Advanced Mode option, click on this to open the Advanced Mode options for this tool.

5)Look for the button near the bottom that says Automated System Recovery Wizard and click on this.

Then just follow the on-screen prompts to complete.