Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tpe

XP Disk space resourse hog

Can anyone help me free up some space on my system HDD, I am using 2.8 GB for the system files out of a 3GB disk and windows has started complaining.

I presume this is because of the continual installments of service packs and the upgrade from win 2k to XP.

I am however unable to determine which files and folders i can safely delete before i attempt a format and reinstall.

Does anyone know where i can find this sort of thing out.

Many thanks

tpe

Well, for starters - do you use XP's hibernation feature? if not, goto Control Panel -> Power Options -> Hibernate & uncheck the checkbox there - that will save you the same amount of MB as you have RAM.

Goto Add/Remove programs, Windows Components, & uninstall MSN Explorer - that'll save you about another 13MB.

Reboot into Safe Mode & delete the Tours folder which is in C:\Windows\Help [so it is C:\Windows\Help\Tours].

Also, how much RAM do you have, & how big is your pagefile? [look for C:\pagefile.sys]

<edit>

Oh, & another thing - in IE, goto Tools -> Internet Options, & on the General tab in the Temporary Internet Files section click the Settings button, then set the Disk Space to Use to 80MB.

</edit>

I'm on a 9600baud connection so forgive the short response.

Go into your SYSTEM32 directory. View hidden files and system hidden files.

Delete the BLUE colored folders (compressed folders) that date from before your upgrade.

Windows System Restore takes up the most space, upwards of Gigs depending on amount allocated. Right click on My Computer and choose the System Restore tab, from there you can slim down its allocation or turn it off totally.

Thank you all very much indeed. 1.3 gigs of disk space freed up, really a fantastic diference.

Alien 25 more on the way as soon as i boot up in save mode, i was suprised i couldnt take posession of the tours folder, i sort of resent not having access to what i concider to be mostly advertisements (I dont know for sure i havnt run the tour) that i have had to pay for on my own pc. That hibernate was a real saving, and i have split my page file over 2 drives, which i should probably have done from the start.

DosFreak I apreciate the time on your the 9600 baud very much, and more so because of the baud rate but valuable at any speed (they are history).

CyberGenX I will have to look into restore to see what exactly i have slimmed down, i back up reasonably regularly so i am guessing that i dont need several gigs allocated to a restore that i will hopefully never use. It has saved me a bundle on both drives.

Thanks all once again

tpe