Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pbuckne

Video/FM tuner question

Can anyone recommend a good, solid card? I tried the Winfast 2000 XP model for a customer who insists on using win98. Doesn't bother me except that Leadtek's support for 9x is sad, or at least is with this card.

Thus I find myself in need of a different card, and sadly short on knowledge thereof...

As long as your not running a VIA or ALi chipset they all seem to be okay. I've got a friend who is big into video editing and screen capping, so she changes out tuners and capture cards regularly, and the best one for her seemd to be the ATI models. Currently she's running an ATI TV Wonder. She said it had issues with her GeForce4, but the newest drivers for agp on her mobo fixed that up.

From what I've heard from her, and other, stay away from USB models, especially if you want to capture video from say a video camera or something similar, they don't have the bandwidth to handle the vid and audio stream with any decent quality for either, but a professional would be using a firewire vidcap device anyway. As far as I know there aren't any tuner cards made for usb 2, so I'd stick with a PCI model.

Both Hauppauge and ATI are good, either will be fine, ATI's software bundle is nicer though, and they've really improved their drivers.

I've got a Hauppage card, and it's card. I think it's just the basic model (picked it up second hand), but it's decent enough. I've only run it on Intel systems, and haven't had any installation problems providing you follow the instructions on the Hauppage website.

The latest software and drivers for it are available from the Hauppage website. I've only used it under 2000 and XP, but there's no reason to think that it won't work under 98.

The radio software I did find a bit flakey to be honest, and it locked my machine. I haven't bothered with any of the later versions of the radio software, so they may be a bit better.

The only thing I will say is make sure the customer has a decent aerial. They'll either need an extension from their main TV aerial or if they use a portable aerial, they will likely need a signal booster.

I have a booster on my portable aerial, and the picture is fine.

Thanks for the replys. Yes, he is running a via chipset, but I have never had a problem with this board, or the newer via drivers (guess there is a first time for everything). He is running an MSI K7Npro with the latest BIOS update and 512 meg kingston DDR (I have two just like it at home). Performance is great, although it is a bit sad that he wants win98 on it.

Iv got a nice Hauppage card and its great, only thing im having a problen with is the control because for sum reason it wont work on NT frown , but other than that it is a great all round card that gets great reception and nice pic on tv. Mine is the WinTV Primio FM