Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Poxnor

XP Service Pack 1

Hello,

I was curious -- is Windows XP Service Pack 1 Beta available for download anywhere? If so, where?

Thanks for your help smile

--Poxnor

If you are a beta tester you'll have already been given both a copy of Beta 1 on CD and given download locations for newer builds as they become available.

Beta 1 has some serious issues and I cannot recommend putting this on any machine you use regularly.

Oh, okay smile

Thanks for your replies.

Since it isn't openly available yet (and still has issues as you mentioned), I think I'll wait until the final version is out before I put it on this machine.

--Poxnor the happy smile

To be honest i have heard so many people having problems but yet my machine has had the 1050 and now the 1060 SP1 installed and its not had a problem at all.

The problem list is massive.

Loss of stability, DirectX Games hanging.

Internet browsing issues

Network Issues

I'd say we've got a fair few more beta releases before it sees the light of day.

8) I've had those issues with every computer I've ever owned! 8)

laugh

Well except for the REALLY old ones. wink

My experience is the opposite.

I have had

1. Increased stability

2. Games running better or just loading better

3. Networking is the same

4. Same internet functionality

So i guess I must be one of the lucky ones.

i appear to be collecting the SP1, i have v1050,1060,1065,1068 just keeping the files for sum reason.

Latest build has fixed a few issues but has introduced a few new ones.

I've also had two of my bug reports closed with the solution "We at Microsoft feel that Windows is currently operating correctly with respect to this bug report" so it would appear they may well just want to get SP1 out and then immediately get to work on SP2.

Thankfully the two they closed with this reason are cosmetic/slightly annoying rather than show stoppers.

If they want it out for the beginning of August that gives them less than two weeks to go gold with the code, I really cannot see this happening.

Quote:

Hello,

I was curious -- is Windows XP Service Pack 1 Beta available for download anywhere? If so, where?

Thanks for your help smile

--Poxnor

Rule of thumb:

Never download a beta (bugs) that is required to fix bugs (bugs) smile

And what's the difference between updates form windowsupdate.microsoft.com and XP service pack 1?

The SP includes all of the CRITICAL/SECURITY/Application Compatibility updates from Windowsupdate.

BUT the featureset was frozen long long ago in a galaxy far far away. So as soon as you update to the latest SP you'll need to go to Windows update to download the latest updates.

The reason why SP's are better is that theoretically they have been beta tested longer since it's common practice in corporate environments to push out SP's to the workstations and only deploy specific windows update fixes to those workstations that need them. Now that SUS is out this practicle will change a little.