Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dilligaf1701

1800 AGAIN - Sorry

confused Thanks to those who posted in a previous thread.

I managed to sort ouy my badly behaved 1800 chip by buying a new motherboard (due to budgest restraints it was the cheapest I could get - a Gigabyte 7ZXE)- but it doesn't lock up anymore.

Anwyay - my qestion...

What is the best CPU cooler I can put on it?cool

My budget is around £20 UK sterling.

I've managed to track down a ThermalTake Volcano 7+ for £20.57 including p&p - is this any good?

My current temps range from 50 - 58oC.

Thanks for your time.

I'd go to Tom's Hadware guide and llok up cooling. They have a Mega cooler showdown, so you can see which one is best bang for the buck

But be wary of the heavier items, they have been known to break the socket retainer due to excessive weight !

Well my 1800+ is sitting on a cooler that will only handle upto a 1.2Ghz, what i did was throw it in the freezer and take the crap off the bottom and its sitting at 60C on a full load and best of all i can hardle hear it. Heat doesnt really bother me as long as it doesnt lock up which it hasnt done yet in the 3months its been on that fan.

Marktait - bet that helps you save on your central heating bills. laugh

Certainly does, never turned the radiator on in my bedroom yet. Its right next to my bed so its nice and warm when i decide to goto bed laugh

LMAO. That reminds me of the "good old days" of my ZX81 - now there was something that could get hot - funny thing is, it wasn't the CPU that was getting hot - was errrm...oh damn, I've forgotten what you call them. Anyway, point is that if I left it on overnight, even without it doing anything, the casing of the actual unit would be hot to the touch - hot as in you wouldn't want to leave your fingers on it for long, smile

I've ordered a volcano 7+ today and another case fan!!

I'll post me new temps when i've put them in.

Dilligaf

Well people - it's in!!! I had some probs the first time i powered it all up - with temps going over 70oC!!!

But since I took it off and reapplied the thermal grease my temps are now 44 idle and 49 under full load.

Still not as cool as i'd like it but better.

Oh and yes - it does sound like a 747 taking off :-)

Dilligaf

Personally id rather have it at 60C full load and it sounded like a bird in the graden, wink

Thats one of my main Issues with the AMD paltform.

By the time you get a good cooler, youve spent another 30 -40 dollars and it sounds like a hovercraft.

laugh Wonder what it would sound like next to my Dragon Orb 3 (currently on my desk in 2 bits wink ), never did get around to finding the screws.LOL

I think i was slightly bored when i seperated the Fan from the heatsink laugh