Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SpyCatcher

XP ServicePack

About two years ago there was a post explaing in detail how to add "office & OS" service packs to the origional program. I would like to try to attempt this feat.

Thank you advance for your assistance

I dont mean to be a jackass, but what do i do when the part equivalent to uninstalling then reinstalling xp comes around? In the Office slipstream, you had to uninstall office then reinstall it. I cant install xp to a directory if its already installed? Sorry if this seems a bit simple or stupid to you, but i would really like to know what you do then for xp....Thanks!

Hey McBane,

Not a stupid question at all, so no worries.

Unless you upgraded from another version of Windows (as in, directly installed Windows XP over Windows 98/ME/2k/etc), the only way to uninstall Windows XP that I know of is to format your drive (using a boot disk could make this easier).

Be sure to back up all of your important documents and programs before doing this, if formatting is the only option available to you.

If anyone knows a better way of uninstalling Windows XP, I'd be most grateful to learn it as well smile

--Poxnor

Sorry, I guess i shoulda been more succint...

I meant for the slipstreaming in Office XP, you need to uninstall xp in order to be able to do the shortcut thing /a .....What im trying to get at is, how do i get xp to do this (the OS)? I can't use a shortcut if i format. Does that make sense? I need the OS in order to make the install, apply sp1 and burn the cd...any clearer?

The slipstreaming seems easy for Office XP since you are doing it within windows....I cant do anything (burn, apply patches, etc) if I don't have an OS installed...

This page explains how to integrate Win2k Service Packs into the CD. The process for WinXP will no doubt be very much the same.

Like I said: "The process for WinXP will no doubt be very much the same". In other words, I don't know, but I suspect it'll be very similar.

Definitely different...i scanned my boot partition for "update.exe" and i couldn't find it...

well the SP1 v1063 is out but havent got my hands on it, i also heard that v1070 has been released too but havent heard much on it yet. M$ seem to be up[censored] the Service Packs rather quickly

They are up[censored] the service packs quickly because they are fixing the problems as/when us beta testers report them.

They are doing an excellent job on this front.

August....that means the code has to be gold by the second week in July.

I honestly think they could make that deadline but it will take a fair amount of work.