Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hagi607

can share files

i cant get two xp systems to share files over the network. here is the error i get:

---------------------------

Workgroup

\\Turk(computer name) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.

OK

both computers are hooked up to the net through a linksys router and or on dhcp ips. I can see the computer i just get this error when trying to connect to it to see its files. I am on the same workgroup too. wtf is wrong

thanks

You need add TCP/IP and/or IPX/SPX protocols. I don't know I only suppose you have not any of them. If you have them try to add user on each of yours computers with name and password exactly the same you have on the other machine.

Do you have the same usernames and passwords in both boxes?

It seems you are running a P2P over TCP/IP

make sure the passwords are the same.

If so, to check the system is working go to the

\\"OthersIP or Comp Name"\c$

It will ask you for a username & pass if the accounts are not synch.

To correct this, just change the pass on one of the boxes. or give the share permission for everyone if security is not an issue.

Can you explain how to give full access in detail please. I have nearly the same issue.

I can get one system to see both but I get the same message from the other system.

Thank you in advance,

I have the same problem. The first PC can view files on the second but the second cannot see folder on the first. I could not figure out how to fix this. Upto a week ago it was fine but then I had to reformat the first computer and this happened:/

Thanks in advance smile

we have those probs at work too. being an old nt guy this is what i do.

explorer/tools/folder options/view

uncheck the box that says use simple file sharing

then go back and do the permission hierchy like u would on nt

(lame way to do things huh?) laugh