Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
telthenipper

My CDROM Drivers have dissappeared

Hi yer folks

I need your help urgently.

I have an abit kt7a and I'm running windows xp pro and I have a dvd rom drive and a cdrw drive.

I had a BSOD crash, it said something about win32k.sys (I didn't get to read it all before my pc rebooted like it does) and when my PC finally rebooted my cdrom drives had disappeared from the MY COMPUTER window!!!!. I've tried everything to get them back, uninstalling the cdroms and the interface within HARDWARE DEVICE MANAGER and letting windows scan for changes to find them again which it does, but still my cdrom drives are nowhere to be found. I've tried norton systemworks, thinking it could help me, but it didn't.

Please can a knowledgeble person out there come to my aid. I'm hoping that I won't have to do a fresh install of windows xp as I did that about a week ago and have just got everything back the the way it was before the clean install

Many many thanks in advance

TEL

PS does anybody know if it's possible to reinstall windows xp over the old copy like you could with windows 98? I've looked into doing this by booting from the cd. It only seems to give the option of wiping your windows folder (with all your settings and registry). With windows 98 you could reinstall windows and none of your installed programs or settings where harmed.

Thanks once again.

According to Microsoft this is how you would go about finding out what your error message read: http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314084

The win32k.sys error generally means that there was some hardware device that failed. It can even happen if you had sent an exceptional large print job out and then cancelled it, but it really didn't cancel.

I have never tried to re-install XP over itself, but I have read that others have. Perhaps, someone will come along shortly who has.

Thanks mate but that page hasn't helped at all, but thanks anyway.

Is there anyone out there who knows how to get my cdrom drives back?

There're listed in device manager but have little yellow exclamations marks next to them.

FYI

TEL

If you wana install XP over itself it should give u an option before it copies any files.

When u tell it to install to a location, choose the location that windows is already installed in, then a screen wil pop-up. this is what it said for me:

Overwrite windows files but/and keep current settings,

Install fresh copy

Choose another directory

It should be the same for u, but i cant garuntee it. (I seem to be having a trouble free spell with XP so i havent re-installed it for a while :))

Good Luck

How do you have your CD-Rom and DVD drives configured in BIOS. Are they on the secondary IDE channel?

From your Device Manager, look under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. If they are on the Secondary channel bringing up properties, then Advanced will tell you if they are seen and what support they have (DMA or PIO) You can also look under resources to see if there is a conflict. The info from the device manager should be coming from your Bios configuration.

I have a raid mobo, so my dvd and cdrom drivess are both masters on the primary and secondary ide channels, my hhds are on the ide raid channels. In device manager it says that my cdrw drive is functioning in 'multi word dma mode 2' and my dvd rom drive is 'ultra dma mode 2'. I can't figure out why one minute there're working fine and then I have a system crash and there're not showing up in 'my computer'

Beats me

under control panel, admin tools, computer management, disk management, does it show your cd-rom drives there?

if so, does it have a drive letter assigned to them?

if not, just right click on them and choose change drive letter and path...

this is a very common bug with win2000 that seems to have gotten worse with XP.

lemme know if you have any luck