Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hykster

Router/Connection Probs.. help please!

Okay, I finally have both of my Desktop computer and my Laptop computer sharing an internet connection through my LinkSys 4-port Router. But there's another problem... after about 15-30 mins after I surf the web with my desktop computer, (my laptop just sitting there idle), I will suddenly lose my internet connection through my router using my desktop computer. So I jump onto the Laptop and that still has a connection, but magically, my desktop doesn't. My only way to fix it, is to go to Network Connections in my Control Panel (using XP) and I find my Network Adapter. I DISABLE it, and then I ENABLE it again. Problem solved. Why is this happening? Why can't I keep a constant connection through the router? I have to keep on disabling my adapter and then enable it again after web pages no longer respond. Both computers are using "Obtain an IP automatically." Any help or suggestions would be nice.

Reason why I'm asking is because I do a lot of online gaming and I plan to have these 2 comps connected to the game service (Battle.net) while playing games, but if one computer keeps on no longer being connected to the router to share an internet connection after 15 mins of recieving/transmitting data, my games are spoiled. Thanks.

Hykster

http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316666

This article explains the QOS service installed by default on XP try disabling that service (uncheck the box in the properties of the local area connection) and see if the problem persists.

You can also release and renew the IP address and this should allow a reconnect.

I found through trial and error, that getting the IP address of the ISP DNS servers and inputting them as the preferred DNS servers has stopped a lot of my connection problems.

First, can both computers still talk to one another after you lose your Internet connection? Can you ping out through the router at all? Try running "ipconfig /all" and see if your lease got pulled for some reason on that workstation when it dies out.

As for QoS, there should not be any reason to disable it, as the previous link explains. It is only supported by QoS enabled hardware and software, and would not actually "kill" an Internet connection (or network connection in general).

I thought it was the QoS that was causing the problems, so I disabled it and it still causes probs. What I found weird was that if I check the "STATUS" of my network adapter on my LAPTOP, it'll send out 24 billion packets but will recieve none. And it keeps continuing till I hit around 150 billion packets that were sent out and then stops. So I would disable the adapter and then enable it, and then it jumps right up there in the billions of packets sent. I'll try to post a Screenshot of it if that's hard to believe. smile I found it really unusual and I KNOW that shouldn't be happening. Otherwise, both computers talk to each other fine over LAN and everything else. I just keep on getting the desktop computer or vice versa to get their connection killed for no reason. It acts like it's trying to renew the IP address when it really shouldn't be changing at all. Anyways, thanks for the help once again, guys.

I've been talking with LinkSys Support over e-mail the past couple of days and they are saying that I should disable my XP firewalls on both systems. Well, they have been disabled from the start and it's still causing problems. What else would be killing the connection for no reason? The DHCP has addressed both IP's to both computers and it should keep them, but why would one of them act like it's trying to RENEW the IP.. which causes my killed connection until I re-enable it.

Problem solved. The router went faulty and bad. Replaced with a new one, works the first time right off the bat.